Towing with 2007 Ford Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baf0929

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I'm repeating things that have already been discussed. I have a 2007 Ford Expedition and I currenlty tow a travel trailer that is 29'long and has a dry weight of 4,585lbs. I tow with no problems. I am looking to upgrade my camper to one that is 33' long and has a dry weight of 6,630lbs. Looking at the Ford tow guides it says I can tow up to 9,200lbs if my Expedition is equipped with the heavy duty tow package. The problem is that I don't know if I have the heavy duty tow package. I have a print out of the features by running the VIN and found that I do have the following features: heavy duty alternator, 3.73 drive ratio, heavy duty battery, 5.4 engine, standard duty suspension, less front and rear shock absorbers, suspension--coil spring, trailer tow prep pack, auxillary transmission oil cooler. Does "trailer tow prep pack" mean I have the heavy duty tow package??? I've called two local Ford dealers and got two different answers. How can I tell if I have the tow package or not? I want to be 100% sure of what I can tow before I buy a new travel trailer. If I don't have the heavy duty tow package can I still upgrade to it, and what is needed to upgrade? How much can I really tow with the tow package and without it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the questions...I'm really confused!

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
read some of the post here , it not that the expedition cant handel the weight the wheel base is what your going to have the problem with for 33' its just too short
IMHO

OP
OP
B

baf0929

Reaction score
Am I out of luck due to the length or is there something out there (anti-sway) that would make it work? I currently have a reese 800lb weight distribution tow package with the dual cam sway control. What is the max length that I can tow with my Expo? Thanks for your help...This forum is very informative!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The weight distributing hitch should counter the length issue, it's going to put weight back on the front wheels. Most of the "tow" add-ons revolve around cooling various fluids. Since you have the trans cooler you should be ok. You could always add an oil cooler for engine oil and perhaps beef up the rear springs with one of the many products out there. (air helper springs, air shocks, etc) I'd pick something that you can adjust, so it doesn't screw up the ride when you're not towing.

The other thing that my friends who tow all the time all swear by is synthetic fluids. They all run synthetic fluids in the diffs, t-case, trans and motor.

Something that really helps out my truck is the power programmer. The tow mode makes the shifts much more snappy, which cuts down on slippage and thus heat.

OP
OP
B

baf0929

Reaction score
Just to clarify I have a Reese weight distribution hitch (14,000lbs) and the tongue weight is 1,400lbs or 1,000lbs depending on pin hole position. The sway bars are Reese V-5 rated, 10,000lb gross trailer weight, 800max hitch weight. This is what I currently tow with. Thanks for the infor...I'll have to look into the bigger tranny and oil coolers.

Reaction score
If you look through the front grill and see a small transmission radiator attached to the larger radiator you most likely have the Heav Duty Tow Package. I check my 07 for that when I bought mine. You will be fine with what your towing. Good luck and drive safe.

OP
OP
B

baf0929

Reaction score
Towing / Rear suspension

Does anyone recommend bulking up the rear suspension for towing with my 07 Expo? If so, what do you recommned?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Probably the easiest thing to use are the air bags that go inside of the rear coils. They have an onboard compressor that allows you to change the ride on the fly. The best part is that they don't change the ride when you're not towing. A buddy of mine added them to the leaf springs on his F150 and he loves them.

OP
OP
B

baf0929

Reaction score
Towing

I finally found some facts on towing with my 2007 Ford Expedition. With the 3.73 axle ratio, I can tow up to 6,000lbs or 9,000lbs with the heavy duty tow package. The heavy duty tow package has an ugraded radiator, and an 11 fin (versus 7 fin) auxillary tranny cooler. I only have the 7 fin auxillary tranny cooler. I will be upgrading to a bigger tranny cooler as well as an oil cooler. Does anyone know if this will suffice or do I need to upgrade my radiator as well? I'm looking to tow a camper that has a dry weigtht of 6,800lbs. Thanks for all your help!

jimmyv13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have both the 4 pin flat and the 7 pin round connector by the hitch for trailer wiring?