Towing with 22's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MedicMoe

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up a travel trailer that has been towed for a few years by an f150. The trailer is a 20 foot dual axle and electric breaks and a weight distribution hitch. My trick is an 01 Eddie Bauer with the factory air bags, and sits on 22 inch rims. Do you think I can tow with the rims, or should I get a set of stock rims and oem size tires.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see what difference the wheel diameter would make as long as the vehicle (including tires and brakes) are in good knick.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yah you should be fine, just make sure to set the hitch up well, it'll ride stiffer but should be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the load index of your current 22 inch tires?
Tire Load Index Chart | Tire Load Range Index | Discount Tire

How about the ply rating, or load range? Assuming they are P tires, and the reason I ask is a lot (but not all) 22's are low profile, and many (but not all) lower profile tires have a light load range. --LL on the sidewall-- If you are unsure, its worth looking into.
Tire Tech Information - Load Range / Ply Rating Identification

You'll have to do some math to determine weights in order to tell if your current tires are suitable or not. Your truck, your passengers, their cargo, and your trailer weight & tongue weight will all have to be taken into consideration. Aluminum or fiberglass 20' trailers can be extremely light, while others can be ridiculously heavy.

There are PLENTY of 22 inch tires that are not suited for an Expedition, let alone an Expedition pulling a trailer. Not suggesting you run out and buy 10 ply LT tires, just encouraging you to evaluate what you have.

The bottom of the second link has info on trailer tire ratings, so you can also determine if those are appropriate or not.

Last edited:

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good point, my assumption was on decent tires as that's all I've run on low profile rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've towed such a trailer when I had 24s and now on my 26s...when I move to florida I will be towing my wife's car on a trailer...on 26s

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze