Towing-Suspension upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trep

Reaction score
I have a 2012 4x4 Expedition EL with factory towing package. I am towing a 35 foot travel trailer that weighs 7800lbs dry. The tongue weight is about 800 lbs. My rear sags a bit, even with weight distribution bars set properly. I was looking to upgrade the rear suspension to something stiffer. I currently have coil spring suspension.
Does anybody have a recommendation for helping out the rear while towing?

thanks

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest I'm not so sure you're going to get any answers you'll want being that at 7800lbs dry you're almost maxed out on your capacity, not to mention the added weight of gas, water, supplies, luggage, and people. That's just a huge burden not to mention dang dangerous on a 1/2 ton chassis.

That being said, you may be able to find a helper spring setup like air springs? I don't believe there're any stiffer springs available...

OP
OP
T

Trep

Reaction score
Thanks, I meant to say fully loaded my trailer is 7800#'s with a hitch weight of 855#'s...I have the HD towing package. The rated tow capacity for my truck is 8900 pounds, which I'm a 1,000 pounds under and almost 2,000 pounds under GCWR. Not sure where you are coming up with "dang dangerous" statement.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fully loaded being that much would make me breathe easier lol!

It's just that a 35' trailer on a 1/2 ton seems scary to say the least especially when the trailer tries to wag the dog so to speak... I also thought the capacity was 8200. Either way I believe I've seen people mention there's no upgraded springs available for the rears on those.

The weight isn't what I'd be most concerned with in your case, it's the length... I'd rather tow an 8000# 20' trailer rather than a 30' trailer of the same weight, that's all.

Like I said you might not get the answers you're looking for, so do what you'd like just be careful please!!!

The only modification I could find for your year is spring inserts which I've read are not a good idea, as in they damage springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
travel trailer that weighs 7800lbs with 10 to 15% toung weight is spot on, but you have to remember any weight that you add to the expedition takes away from the tow capacity. This is including people and things that you pack in it.