Trailer cargo lights do not work... Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sodapop

Reaction score
alright, I've tried searching with no luck. I regularly tow a 24' box trailer with interior cargo lights. They are functional but do not work with my expedition, a 2004 XLT with a towing package. I know this has to do with the 12v power line and I've read some things about some relays and fuses which are not installed. Does anyone know which relays/fuses need to be installed and where? I've did a quick scan on the interior fuse panel and looked for the under hood box quickly but didn't see it. Where is it located and am I on the right path??

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you looked at the owners manual yet? That would be my first place to have a look!

It will show you the location and relays/fuses needed so that you can match what you got on your fuse box with what the manual calls for.

OP
OP
S

Sodapop

Reaction score
Sure have and nothing seems to correspond. It doesn't even show me the location of the underwood fuse box/power distribution box.

OP
OP
S

Sodapop

Reaction score
Seven pin. Trailer brake feed weeks as do all lights. Only thing that doesn't work is 12v power.

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the ignition on when trying the lights? I think it only provides power with ignition on.

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the fuse box, located behind the passenger side kick panel you will see TWO ROWS of relays. In the second row, the middle relay is the TRAILER TOW RELAY, BATTERY CHARGE. which goes to pin 5 on the 7 pin connector. Also check fuse # 13 and # 106 FUSE 106 is the circuit that feeds pin 5 and is a 30 amp fuse. The ign must be in the start or run position in order to get the relay to engerize.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sodapop

Reaction score
Thanks 05exepdeb.

I've tried with the truck running with no luck before, I will check those fuses and relays to see if they are there!

If it's not one of those, I may just run a hot line with a fusable link in it all the way back. I load way to much at night to not have cargo lights!

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many times the relay or fuse isn't installed if not check somewhere in the rear area where the jack is and you may find the relay in a plactic package. At least that was what I had on an earlier expedition