Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > Transmission & Drive train

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Transmission & Drive train

04 problems, hesistating, chugging, slipping, help?

This is a discussion on 04 problems, hesistating, chugging, slipping, help? within the Transmission & Drive train forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I have been experiencing what seems like slipping in my expedition. It's a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 04 problems, hesistating, chugging, slipping, help?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I have been experiencing what seems like slipping in my expedition. It's a 5.4, it started a few months after we got it.

At first it only acted up when you would accelerate hard from a stop, it would seem like it dropped outta gear and then it would catch and go like normal. It did this on and off. I could not recreate it when i took it to aamco so that was a bust.

One time, and this was the only time, we were headed about 45 mins away and at that point that was the farthest we had drove it. It started to chug violently and a check engine light came on. I was nowhere near a parts store to get it checked out so i went on to where i was going. When I left it was off and it drove fine. tried checking it the next day hoping it would be a pending code but nothing was there.

coming to the present, it chugs/slips every time we drive it. so what ever it is it's getting worse. I plan on taking it to a transmission shop close by when i get sometime.

Also it's only done this maybe 3 times but there are instances when it goes into some kinda limp mode and seems like it runs on only 4 cylinders. I turn it off and then back on and it runs like new.

What makes things so bad is that it wont throw a light so I have know way of knowing where to look, I'm pretty knowledgeable with cars so this has me stumped.

I've been hearing that it could possibly be a cop? any truth to that?
04exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Supporting Member

expy's are very sensitive to low grade misses... which usually results from COPs going bad but not enough to trip the CEL... also very common is a vacuum leak which can cause problems....

2012 Jeep Patriot....
Formerly a 99 expy with 11" lift and 37s...
walnuts4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

But could that make ot seem like a tranny problem? I have 5 years experience working at a part store and my own personal cars so I see a lot of the coils go bad on the 5.4's.
04exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Members

mine was doing the same thing multiple cylinder miss will send it into limp mode, the cel would flash and sometimes stay on but then go away. easiest fix is changing all the plugs and cops. I changed all my plug and not the cops then they started going on me one at a time but once i changed all 8 it runs strong again. I know what you mean about the trans thing thats what i thought it was at first too.

2005 EDDIE BAUER (2WD)
24X10 (305/35/24) GIOVANNA CANELLI'S, PTM OXFORD WHITE MIRROR CAPS, FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES MUFFLER w/ CUSTOM TIPS, PIONEER AVH-P4300DVD DOUBLE DIN DECK, SOUNDSTREAM DVD, 2-KENWOOD 1800W AMPS, 4-KENWOOD 1200W 12"SUBS IN 2-TURBOBASS PROBOXES, 2 7" POWER AKOUSTIK HEADREST TV'S
WHOISMOOTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Kinda the same thing in my 08. It would momentarily chug/shudder while at speed(@ 70) and I thought tranny. Described the issue to my buddy at the dealership and he said COP. Naturally, I didn't believe him and still was convinced it was a tranny issue because I never got a CEL/code. Took it to the dealership and we hooked up a power balance laptop and watched the graphs while driving around. I got the obligatory, I TOLD YOU SO from my buddy, #2 and #5 were missing. Two new coils and I'm all fixed up.

2008 Eddie Bauer 5.4L 4x4, HyperTech Max Energy, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow Stainless Exhaust, Truxxx Spacers 3/2, Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17(for now), Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package, 3.73 Rear
Dib52 is offline   Reply With Quote