Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > Transmission & Drive train

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Transmission & Drive train

4x4 WONT ENGAGE

This is a discussion on 4x4 WONT ENGAGE within the Transmission & Drive train forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Ok guys I had a friend do the the upper and lower ball ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4x4 WONT ENGAGE

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Ok guys I had a friend do the the upper and lower ball joints and control arm on my 1999 for expedition XLT both sides...This was done about 2 months ago ...The other day I went to pull a stump out and was not able to engage the truck in to 4 wheel drive ... I hear no click when I turn the knob and the light dosnt come on in the dash window ... When I first start the truck the... 4x4 light comes on then go off ... Is there any thing I can look at before sending the truck to the shop Thanks Again Greg !!!!! :goofy_b atman::g oofy_batman:
gregc729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

technical advisor

Most common cause is a bad transfer case shift motor.

1998 XLT 4x4 5.4, Rancho 4" lift w/RS9000 shocks, 3" Body Lift, 35" BFG AT KO on Weld Wheels, Tactical Armor Group Bumper, Tuff Stuff 12,500 lb winch, Rancho Skid Plate, Flares, Magnaflow SS Dual exhaust, Dual Optima Red Tops, Pioneer Touch Screen Nav Unit, Pioneer DVD w/ 7" Drop Down, Planet Audio 5ch amp w/ Punch 10" Sub, Avatal Alarm w/ Remote Start, Backup Camera w/ 10" Monitor SOLD 5/20/12
tonydiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep shift motor more than likely but check your vacumm lines first. May get lucky and have them unplugged
Flightstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Originally Posted by Flightstopper View Post
Yep shift motor more than likely but check your vacumm lines first. May get lucky and have them unplugged
I was thinking vacuum lines myself. Seeing as there's no noise detectable when you flick the switch I'd start there. If they're good then it's likely the shift motor as mentioned. Look for one online and you'll same some cash. Amazon and rock auto both carry them.
1992 Honda CBR 600 F2 fully restored (my third child)
1985 Yamaha Maxim 700 (never ending project)
Jeff532003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

ok guys just getting around to look at this now that we are heading some where that has snow .... Where can I find a diagram showing me the vacuum lines that would effect the 4x4 not to engage .... Thanks again Greg !!!!!
gregc729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Members

would also check your fuses Check this post "yet more 4 wheel drive problems" there are prints there for a 97 but the wiring is the same for your 99. Could be a bad fuse or bad relays or a bad selector switch. At least check for power before you replace parts
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Also check the wiring to the wheel speed sensors. Being you had the ball joints and control arms replaced. I know when I replaced mine it does tend to put some stress on those wires if your not careful.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mine spontaneously stopped working a few months ago. It's on my fix it must. Prolly the shift motor.
jsawyer1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Access Members

does anyone have a picture of the module behind the fuse box? I have same problem. Worked then nothing. I've tested the switch. I get 4v then 3v then 1v. Awd , 4h and 4l. no clicking, no lights. I opened the hood where the airlines go to hubs. Nothing there. Fuses are good. Does the power come from the shift motor?

reefkrazy is offline   Reply With Quote