Autmatic transmission kicks too hard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HardTrance9

Reaction score
Hi. We have an Expedition 2000 4WD and some three months ago I noticed that when cruising at low speeds (below 12 Mph), when the automatic transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd or 3rd gear, each gear feels with "strong kick in"...

Do you know what could this mean, what it can be done or how to fix this?

I have the feeling that if I don't correct this soon the transmission will keep kicking in harder each time at low speeds and could get screwed...

Oil transmission levels are fine, and also the other fluids... don't know what could it be...

Any thoughts? Thanks !! I really want to keep our Expedition as good as possible (heavy use on dirt roads here... 50-50)

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you the original owner, or how long have you owned it? If you've had it a while and it just started to do this, then a flush would be a good place to start. If it's a recent purchase, it could have the line pressure increased by a programmer to purposely give the tranny a kick in the pants feel.