Engages gears but wont move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 1998 XLT with the 4.6L and I am assuming the 4R70W. The owner told me the trans is shot. When I asked what it was doing, she stated that it would engage when you put it in drive but wouldn't move. So I'm wondering if there is something solenoid related or a simple fix this could be so I can get a good deal. Any ideas, please let me know. I'm looking at it wed. Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had people tell me that the expy was a EB because it had leather seats also the side and rear emblems were changed to the EB emblems. but there are many tell tail signs to see if its an EB and one is the EB's had the rear quarter window vents. also the wheel well molding

One way to be sure is get the vin number and look it up on ford etis.com

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. The one picture has all the Eddie Bauer cladding and the interior is cloth as well. So hey if it's really a bad Trans the motor is going into my '97.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe that any EB had cloth interior unless it was changed however I have seen and even owned XLT's with leather/vinyl interiors.

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gear selecter could have came of ( side of transmission) mine came of in park so I would put it in any gear and it didn't do anything. Could give that a shout

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roxy,

My XLT has leather. So I'm not sure and I'll have to see.

Big Green Ford,

I'm thinking along those lines. That's something good to check.

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roxy,

My XLT has leather. So I'm not sure and I'll have to see.

Big Green Ford,

I'm thinking along those lines. That's something good to check.

Also check for water in transmission fluid, or low trans fluid.
Its hard for a trans to just quit working. At least it would work in reverse or forward or 1st or 2nd gear. I'm thinking the gear selecter. Good luck ! Let us know what you find

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, I will be all over it! Figured out why it has cloth. I confused it with another Expedition I was looking at. It's a XLT.