Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > Transmission & Drive train

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Transmission & Drive train

Front Differential/Removed my Drive Shaft

This is a discussion on Front Differential/Removed my Drive Shaft within the Transmission & Drive train forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I have had to remove the front drive shaft because we (mechanic) thinks ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Front Differential/Removed my Drive Shaft

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I have had to remove the front drive shaft because we (mechanic) thinks that the front dif is gone bad. At this point, I can't afford to have this replaced/repaired. What do I need to know or do while the drive shaft is out? Do I need to move my "4wd" knob to any particular setting? Right now its in AWD. Is there anything that I should expect? Is there any type of damages this could cause with the driveshaft out?

I have to admit. I like driving it without that ... sluggish feeling, but I don't know if I am causing additional damage anywhere having the front shaft out and driving it around. Can I leave it like this, and not have the drive shaft reinstalled?

Any info, input, guidance.. .. would be highly appreciated. But I have to admit, I hate this damsel in distress feeling.

Thanks!
DementedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ok, so maybe I can get some input for my next questions. Front Diff is "going bad".

1) junk yard or rebuilt?

2) any clue as to how much each/either costs so I can determine if I'm getting screwed?

Sure would appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Super Mod, Supporting Members

If you have a 2hi setting, put it in that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unfortunately, the 99 doesn't come with that option.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Members

just pull the fuse... cant remember which one but it says under fuse cover or in book its been awhile since i did it sorry
2000eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Members

o if you pull the fuse it will not allow truck to go in 4wd
2000eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Fuse in my 01 is under the hood. Im not sure how the awd on a expy works but it may not even move (you're sure its awd and not a4wd right?) my under standing is awd vehicles have a center diff. and diffs like to transfer power to where ever the least resistance is, which would be the front, so i would think that is would just spin the front drive shaft hookup and not transfer much power to the rear. I could be completely wrong, like i said I have no idea how ford went about the awd on expys
masterhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

From what I was told, after all this time, was a rod in the transfer case was broken. Don't know if the rod attaches somehow to the front driveshaft, but they replaced this rod in the transfer case and my truck works just fine (so I've been told) I haven't picked it up yet.

Thanks for the info though. I actually plan on pulling the fuse and see if it works for me.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

No just leave it in awd it won't hurt anything, although I surprised you say its sluggish. You don't have the lag now that you are not turning 4 wheels so it sould be much better and steering in a parking lot should be awesome not having the front shft engaged to give you that bump 4 wheel drive steer in the parking lot. I just thought of some thing, Did you take both sides off or is it just one solid piece, if one solid piece for left and right side you are fine. If it is two half shalfs, take both sides off, or you will jack the front end up even worse. you will be pulling torque from all wheels and missing one which will throw the computer a fit after awhile or damage more internally. Good luck. Tell your mechanic he should know better.
Tha1Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I would go with a junk yard it should be less then a hundred bucks and if it goes out then keep replace it again. You can buy a reman. one for about $6-$9hun w/ $300 core. Maybe Craigslist look for "parting out" good price be about $150- $250 tops. Hope it helps.
Tha1Mike is offline   Reply With Quote