Gear Slop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OXX1973

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Expedition XLT 4x4 with 110,000 on a 5.4 and 4r100. In the last month I have noticed that every once in a while I have to tap the shifter up in order to start the engine. Then I noticed a little slop when in park after exiting the car. It would roll maybe a couple of inches.

Yesterday I came home, put it in park and turned off the engine. When I exited the car I was pushed back by door because the car was rolling back much more than a couple of inches this time. I thought I heard a metallic click, like it was catching a tooth engaging something before it stopped.

I have no idea where to start trouble shooting and welcome any advice.

Thank you

OP
OP
O

OXX1973

Reaction score
Sled,
Thank you for that link. I was sceptical that it was those two bolts that was causing my issue at first. I went ahead and checked it out anyways and sure enough the two bolts were a little loose. After tightening them down, I no longer have trouble starting the beast and the rolling while in park seems to be gone as well.

Again a big THANK YOU.