Gen III transmission leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 07 EL EB 4x4 with about 150k miles and I've discovered an issue with my trans.

It seems the Expy is a jealous type, because it wets the driveway when I don't drive it regularly.

I've found that it leaks about a cup of trans fluid from the electrical connector/plug at about the back 1/3 of the transmission on the passenger side. The connectors from the plug run up to the top of the transfer case. Here's the strange thing: It only seems to happen when the Expy sits for more than a day or two. I found this out because it sat all week while I drove my SHO to the office. Just discovered the wet spot this evening when I went to swap it out for next week.

So my questions are:
Has anyone else experienced this? Is so, what's the part #?
From the ford-trucks.com forums it sounds like its a $450 repair because the trans pan has to be dropped and new seals, but no part name or number was listed in the threads I saw.

Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
GaryH2

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was the bulkhead connector on the right rear of the trans. So if you have a trans leak in a Gen III Expy, check there first. Its above the pan and can make your pan look like its leaking.

Part # 6L2Z7G276AA for about $22. You have to drop the trans pan to access the clip that holds in the connector (and refill the trans afterwards) and that's where the $ are in the repair.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was the bulkhead connector on the right rear of the trans. So if you have a trans leak in a Gen III Expy, check there first. Its above the pan and can make your pan look like its leaking.

Part # 6L2Z7G276AA for about $22. You have to drop the trans pan to access the clip that holds in the connector (and refill the trans afterwards) and that's where the $ are in the repair.

I did that to my 09 today. Replaced the connector $23.10 and 7 quarts of Mercon LV along with a new filter.

ggarriga

Reaction score

I hope this is all my issue is. I am going to the dealer this morning to get it checked out.

Thanks!

Garrett