I think the pump seal blew out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving home today and the trans started kicking out. Made it home and looked underneath the Expy to find the bottom of the trans and transfer case soaked with trans fluid. It was hard to see if the top was soaked as well, but it didnt look like it. Soooo, it looks like I'll be pulling the trans out to check the pump seal.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the question is this. If I go so far as pullling the trans to replace the pump seal, should I just rebuild it? The cost would be about $500 to rebuild it compared to the cost of the new seal at $10. The trans also has 243k miles on it and I tow with it. So I think yes I should.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the condition of the trans fluid? Does the fluid smell burnt? If there's fluid coming off the top of the tranny vent tube theres a good chance the tranny might have overheated cooking the internals!!!

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll check that out. I think the drain plug could have come out of the troque converter. I heard something rattling around in there. We'll see what turns up when I pop off the inspection plate.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I climbed under the expedition today and the trans is only wet across the bottom. The top is dry and I popped the drain cover under the torque converter. There was trans fluid inside the torque converter housing at the front of the trans.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Over the long weekend I cleaned out the garage and moved the expy in for a trans rebuild. I drained the converter, then the pan. The fluid is burnt and its time to overhaul at 243k miles. I'd say thats prEtty good. I ordered the rebuild kit from here oregon performance. They were recommended from a rebuild done on the f150 forums. I also ordered the shift kit from Transgo, and Im ordering the HD torque converter from Torque converter 1 . Dont forget the trans assembly lube. I have a rebuild manual and have the rebuild videos from youtube book marked. I'll link one below.

How to rebuild the 4R70W

There are four videos in this series on disassembly, sub assemblies and reassembly. Makes it very easy!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to take detailed pics and do a write up on the rebuild we can make it a sticky in this section.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will do my best to document everything. From the videos I've watched and the information on the rebuild I've gathered. Anyone should be able to rebuild their own transmission.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This weekend I drained all the fluids, dropped both the drive shafts, my shift kit, HD torque converter, trans adapter for my jack and Assemblee lube arrived. I'll get more pictures of everything so far. Also there was a rattling that I have found was a shrould that went over the universal joints at the transfer case. It was pretty beat up and Ill have to pull the transfer case to get it out. Im going to see if I can pull everything without pulling the torsion bar crossmember. This weekend I'm not going to get a lot done. My son is graduating and were having his grad party!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni