My 2004 has a 4R75W transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Officially, not installed until 2005, but that is what my build sheet says. I read up on it, and it has an additional sensor for turbine speed and logic in the ecm to make more predictive shifts.....That said, I guess the 75 is backwards compatible to the 70, just not the other way around.

SO my question is: Do you think that is what was done? The extra sensor is not used? Where would I find the extra sensor on the transmission, it would be interesting to this geek to see if it is in use....

Anyone else get the 75 in a 2004 that they know about?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Officially, not installed until 2005, but that is what my build sheet says. I read up on it, and it has an additional sensor for turbine speed and logic in the ecm to make more predictive shifts.....That said, I guess the 75 is backwards compatible to the 70, just not the other way around.

SO my question is: Do you think that is what was done? The extra sensor is not used? Where would I find the extra sensor on the transmission, it would be interesting to this geek to see if it is in use....

Anyone else get the 75 in a 2004 that they know about?

The 4r100 in the 2000 expy has turbine speed sensor input and it is active in the programming. What this means for your 2004 I have no idea.... other than it was an active parameter used in earlier expys.

Last edited:

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2004 was a weird year...

the 4.6l got the 4r70w, and the 5.4l got the 4r75w...

This was the last year of the 2valve 5.4l, but Ford figured that moving to the 4R75W (which was in all 2004 MY F150 3v 5.4l) was ok as it could hold more torque...

MY 2005 was the first for the 3 valve 5.4l (slightly more torque than 2 valve), and that engine was the only option. That why all had the 4r75w...

Any with the 5.4l and 4r75w would have gotten the new PCM that could do what the 2005 MY ones could.

So all the sensors would be used.

bigbadbarrios

Reaction score
Interesting, brings a question to mind

I'm new to the forums, but my 04 Expedition transmission has gone the way of the Dodo, and between a rebuild and a replacement, the budget dictates a replacement.

As I knew the 04 and 05 were pretty similar, I started searching for part, and have found an 05 transmission with 78k miles. But I wasn't sure if the trans were the same or compatible. Without me being 100% sure what tranny my 04 has, would the 05 tranny be backward compatible? Thanks