Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > Transmission & Drive train

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Transmission & Drive train

Piston Slap and Oil Viscosity Choice

This is a discussion on Piston Slap and Oil Viscosity Choice within the Transmission & Drive train forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Sicne I am outta work I am trying to save a few bucks ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
MobyDick

Default Piston Slap and Oil Viscosity Choice

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Sicne I am outta work I am trying to save a few bucks and recently used conventional 5W-30 vs. synthetic 5W-30 and I noticed the 5.4 Triton piston slap when cold is a bit worse. Anyone have any experience w/ a particular brand and/or viscosity that seems to minimize this?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Full Access Members

I have a 2002 5.4 with 98K and have never had the slap you are talking about. I have gone back and forth between conventional and synthetic. I have used an engine treatment. Yeah i know some think its snake oil but less heat and 2mpg tell me other wise. As far as brands i tend to use Mobil Clean 5000 and Castrol (5w-30) and change out oil and filter at 5000 miles.
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Thumbs up

i noticed the piston slap in my 97 5.4 with 231k on it, rite after we got it i switched to valvoline 5w30 synthetic.. now even sub zero temps the noise is nearly non exsistant... as for the oil additives i dont doubt the mileage increase or the temp drop but the additives in products like slick 50, motorkote, and Z maxx greatly increase bearing wear. if you do an oil sample when these additives are used you will see wear metals way above normal. if you do a lawsuit search for these additive companies you will they loose most of them, i think thats why they are so spendy. in my opinion oil companies spend alot of money in R&D if there was a better additive package they would put it in their oil
KWT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Members

was at the local parts store today and saw some 0 w 30 sythetic oil. just wondering if anyone knows if using a lighter weigh oil would make a difference
firefighter407 is offline   Reply With Quote