Rear Differencial Roaring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomshar2

Reaction score
Hi, I owe a 2004 4x4 ford expedition 5.4 ltr engine with 185000miles.
When driving around 30 to 40 mph I can hear a roaring sound from the rear end.
Above 40 mph the noice stops.
I took the car to the shop and they said that the rear differencial hub needs to be changed and they quoted me $3300 for just the part.
On a privious post I read that the 2004 models make a noice in the resr end and there is a fluid called Friction Modifier that can be added to the differencial and clear up the problem.
Any feedbacks on this are welcomed.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When turning strom a stop, does it jerk or chatter? Does the noise change going around curves or turns? If the bearing are going bad, it doesn't mean the whole rear end needs rebuilding. You can change the bearings and seals without replacing the ring and pinion gears. 3300 seems really high. Take it to another reputable repair shop and get a second opinion.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Friction modifier is just for noise/jerkiness when taking off or turning. A roar from the rear end could be one of several bearings, including driveshaft u-joints, internal differential bearings, and axle tube end bearings. $3300 is way too high.

jeeperjohn

Reaction score
More than likely it is your pinion bearings going out. A good shop should be able to replace then for around 300 Bux. I would recommend having all of the bearings and seals in the rear end replaced, that should run you around 600 Bux.

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
For 3300 you can replace the whole thing with the heil coil rear end from rock auto. something wrong with that price. If its the LSD with clutch pack they could be broke. Mine was making noise and that was the problem. Broken disk in it. $600 canadian to replace it.