Rear end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last weekend, a couple hours after having my tires changed, I was driving down the highway. I go to pass a car. Shortly after passing him, and as the speed was "winding down" I notice a strange sound.

Finally was able to locate it. Seems to be coming from the vicinity of the passenger side rear tire. It seems to come on from around 30 mph, and all the way up. It's only there when I have the foot on the gas. When I take it off, the sound more or less stops.

Here's some video from the third row area. This was turning on to a road, and going up to around 50 mph (there was a power truck in front of me.)
http://blip.tv/file/764879

Any ideas? TIA.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking that wirring sounds thats pretty evident and sounds dependant on speed or that clicking/thumping?

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whirring sound. In the beginning, tire howl seems to also be there, but it goes away, and just the whirring that's left behind, that's the sound I'm worried about. You can hear it by itself around second 24. Towards the end, that's just me passing over a section of bad road.

I have some other videos, but they upload slowly with this dial up :(

I was going to change out the tire with the spare, just to make sure it isn't the tire, but the Expy won't start. (That's another thread...*sigh*)

Last edited:

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sure thats not the wheel bearing? If not maybe they were stupid and didn't tighten the lugs properly or some crap. You said it happened right after you had the tires changed?

lol, seems like your full of luck with it right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, put in the spare, and it still makes the sound, so I don't think it's the new tires.

My dad doesn't think it's bearing, but either way, how would I check/change that?

Also checked the differential, and it has fluid (figured I might as well check to make sure.)

As a side note, how close are the pads supposed to be the rear rotors when the parking brake is off, and the tranny is in neutral? The pads seem to be on/touching the rotor.

mohs00

Reaction score
just a thought...jack the rear end up as long as you are in 4x2 otherwise jack up frt and rear if in 4x4 and put it in drive and accelerate see if you hear the noise still also locate a stetascope (spelling) and listen to both other the rear bearings if one is bad it should make a loud growling noise....good luck

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, that's what my dad wanted to do, but we didn't have jack stands, and putting them up on just jack didn't seem very safe. :D

Guess I'll have to buy some tomorrow.

The sound has worsened after driving back up here. Now you can really hear it when I'm slowing down. *whir* *whir* *whir*

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here's a video of me spinning it by hand. I think it's coming from inside the tire, so that's where I recorded. It's the slight rubbing sound that I think is the problem. The squeaking sound is me spinning the actual tire.
http://blip.tv/file/770763

This is what it sounds like driving by slowly.
http://blip.tv/file/770769

Maybe this gives some of you an idea of what it could be. I think I'm just going to go to Greenway Ford, unless someone knows a better place here in Orlando.

TIA