shifting gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m2smiguel

Reaction score
im new to the site. i bought a 2005 ford expedition recently and i just want to ask if i can shift gear from D to 1 while the car is running or i can directly put the gear to 1 from park position. Thanks

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You shouldn't have problems doing that. It is my understanding that the trans computer keeps the trans from going to first if speeds are too great, even if it is selected. I would recommend going from D to 2, and then 2 to 1 as the trans completes shifting, but the trans is able to skip gears if need be. You should have no problem going from Park to one.

jfriesen

Reaction score
Not to thread hijack here but what would be wrong if you were unable to go from P to 1?

I have a 99 where this is happening?

jfriesen

Reaction score
No I understood his question!

I just have a issue where I have tried while in AWD to shift from P to 1 and can't. I know I should be able to. But was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please explain further on what isn't happening, such as only the low range won't engage, no indicator lights, no sound from the tranfer case etc.
Have you checked for power to and from the fuses?

jfriesen

Reaction score
Please explain further on what isn't happening, such as only the low range won't engage, no indicator lights, no sound from the tranfer case etc.
Have you checked for power to and from the fuses?

Here is what I know...about a year ago the truck had the issue where when you make low speed turns there was a chug and vibration in the rear end. So I had the transaxle fluid replaced both front and rear. Tada no more chug and vibration to low speed turns.

I also know that earlier this year (January-February) I had used 4Hi and 4Lo during a major snow storm here in MN. I have not used the 4-wheel drive since that time.

So while I was working on another issue (compass re-calibration) I thought to myself that it would be a good time to just go through the gears and 4-wheel drive. So from P in AWD I went to 2nd, no issue. Then tried while still driving to go from 2nd to 1st, could not get gear select to even drop into 1st. So I stopped and put the truck back in P. Then attempted to shift from P to 1, still nothing Ok that's weird I thought need to have that looked at.

Next I tried to 4Hi, everything seemed ok until I tried to do some low speed tight figure 8s. I noticed that the rear end started to feel like it was dragging during the turns.

Ok great well this simple job of trying to re-calibrate the compass is turning into a bad day!

Well I figured I might as well try 4Lo. Right off the bat the rear end seemed like it was dragging as well.

Couldn't help but think to myself Oh shit! My transmission is going.

So went home to sulk about it for awhile...I got to thinking wait my transmission shouldnt be the issue here as AWD OD uses the same 1st gear as dropping into 1st gear directly.

So this got me thinking about that stupid common issue with the windshield leak where a slow leak ruins the GEM. So now I am wondering could something like this be effecting the trans?

Oh btw still trying to figure out why I can't seem to re-calibrate the compass. It shows basically the opposite of the direction I am pointed!

Any help would be great.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can not physically put it in low gear then you will need to attempt it at the transmission after disconnecting the linkage. This would determine if the hangup is in the trans or the linkage. Mark where park or neutral is before removing the linkage.
If it is the transmission then you would drop the pan and inspect the manual control lever and detent spring operation. If those are fine the next thing would be the valve body. Before removing the valve body I would definitely read the shop manual on this. Many little parts that will go rolling and of course disappear.

Feel like getting your hands dirty?

fourty03

Reaction score
Did you do your 4wd tight figure 8 turns on dry pavement?

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk 2