transmission oil change???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omantank

Reaction score
hey, i went to change my motor oil today and saked the guy to check the tranny oil, transfer case and diff oils too and he couldnt find the tranny oil dipstick or plug to empty it... i made him change the transfer case oil and notice the truck shitfs way smoother now so im wondering.. would the tranny and transfer case use same oil?? its wierd

B

bedrck46

Not to sound like a smart ass The following information was copied from the owners manual.

Checking automatic transmission fluid
The automatic transmission does not have a transmission fluid dipstick.
Refer to your scheduled maintenance information for scheduled
intervals for fluid checks and changes. Your transmission does not
consume fluid. However, the fluid level should be checked if the
transmission is not working properly, (i.e., if the transmission slips or
shifts slowly) or if you notice some sign of fluid leakage.
Transmission fluid should be checked by an authorized dealer. If
required, fluid should be added by an authorized dealer.
Do not use supplemental transmission fluid additives, treatments or
cleaning agents. The use of these materials may affect transmission
operation and result in damage to internal transmission components.

Last edited by a moderator:

GJarrett

Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding your post because you started with a statement about not finding the tranny dipstick and ending with asking about the fluid. Regarding both items,

1) there IS a tranny dipstick and you can DIY if you are handy with tools, thus saving the $200+ Ford is trying to force you to spend at your local dealership service dept. A how-to thread can be found here:

How to check transmission fluid in Ford 6R75 and 6R80 2007+ Expedition and 2009+ F150 6-speed automatic

2) The fluid is different from the transfer case. Your transfer case uses Motorcraft XL-12 transfer case fluid and your tranny uses Mercon SP ATF fluid.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

Thanks for your post. I am sure it will help others. I understand that there is something available so that you can add a dipstick but the cost is high. Just another thing where the Mfg is trying to get people to bring the vehicle in for service and charge them a arm and a leg. My post was to let him know that the information was in his owners manual. But I would have thought that the person that he took it to would have been better informed about the dipsticks not being in newer models

gfolsom

Reaction score
I just wanted to confirm the '09 Expedition (6R80 tranny) DOES have that same dipstick and cap as shown in the link above.
Thank you for posting that link.

RevHeat

Reaction score
This is a great thread. Ad bedrck46 supplied "treatments or
cleaning agents. The use of these materials may affect transmission
operation and result in damage to internal transmission components".

On my 2000, I have always had performed a BG transmission flush ever 75,000 miles I have never had problems with the tranny to date and it has 295,000 miles. I just purchased a 2010 and my how things have changed. So with the 2010, is a traditional transmission change the way to go and avoid at all cost flushing the system?

Thanks,

Rev