Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Any Shop Close By

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I Am The Only One Who Fixes My Expedition

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • I Plan To Just Drive It Til The Wheels Fall Off

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who makes there own repairs and how does it benifit you in the long run? Are you sometimes better off taking it to a professional? Love to here your insight?

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a VERY novice home mechanic, but between my buddy who is a hobby mechanic and I we are able to do most things. Changed plugs, did GOTTS mod, installed a brush guard, few electrical mods all done ourselves. I took it to a shop to replace the trailing arms because I didn't have the tools.

OP
OP
VexedEX

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a VERY novice home mechanic, but between my buddy who is a hobby mechanic and I we are able to do most things. Changed plugs, did GOTTS mod, installed a brush guard, few electrical mods all done ourselves. I took it to a shop to replace the trailing arms because I didn't have the tools.

Your truck is amazing! Really have put in work! It stands out~ Wish I could take credit for how my truck looks but I'm proud to own it.... Plus there is always room for improvement!

Odimus

Reaction score
Pretty much do all the maintenance on all the vehicles...if it is a big job I will grab a friend to help...

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i try to do everything myself. except tranny rebuilds, ball joints, gears. i'll try everything else. if i dont have time i do have a great guy that my family has known for 15+ years its a small 2 man shop and great work at bare bones prices.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most things I will take to a shop because of time. Upgrade stuff though I try and do on my own. I will say this, sometimes the dealer is cheaper than anywhere else and I'll take it there.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Between me and my old man we can usually get things done. We did the ball joints last summer, and will probably do the trailing arms this summer. One thing neither of us have figured out though is my front shocks... We rounded both of the heads on the bolts that hold the bottom shackle. So I am taking it to a shop next week to have them cut out...

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am very novice when it come to cars and trucks but I am not scared to try anything... I have replaced quite a bit myself and the savings is worth it. I find it really hard to pay someone to do something I can do my self. Even if it means that it might take me a week more than a mechanic at the same time it a great learning experience.

OP
OP
VexedEX

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am very novice when it come to cars and trucks but I am not scared to try anything... I have replaced quite a bit myself and the savings is worth it. I find it really hard to pay someone to do something I can do my self. Even if it means that it might take me a week more than a mechanic at the same time it a great learning experience.
I'm totally with you on that one!