Floor jack suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sclass-hole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been looking around and I think I've decided on a 3 ton. It should be enough right? I don't plan on jacking the whole truck up at one time so how much jack do I really need to raise one wheel at a time?

I appreciate any feedback. I don't know much about floor jacks but I know that the little 1 1/2 ton I have now won't work.

dougmcp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use an old Harbor Freight 1 1/2 ton on mine and it struggles but still works.
You should be happy with the 3 ton model. Be sure to check that it goes high enough for your intended purpose.

OP
OP
Sclass-hole

Sclass-hole

Full Access Members
Reaction score

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Kobalt 3 ton... with quick lift... basically one pump until it hits resistance... came with 2 jack stands too... have had it for 10 years and still going strong

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SCLASS - Is the 18" lift enough? I was looking at the 2 ton model because it lifts 23". My exped is stock height.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2.5 TON jack with 20" max height. I stuck it under the frame right in front of the rear tire and tried to jack it up. It tops out before the tire gets off the ground. So I guess 20" isn't enough.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a jack doesn't go high enough, use some wood. Like a couple of 2x4 or a 4x4

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a jack doesn't go high enough, use some wood. Like a couple of 2x4 or a 4x4

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I've always been weary about doing that. Would you put the wood on the ground under the jack, or on the pedestal? I've done it under the jack before, but with a smaller jack and a much smaller vehicle.
I'm going to be replacing the lower trailing arms and I'd like to get it fairly high to let the axle hang a bit.