“Thunder” 1998 Expedition Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My supercharged expo install is a little different than his.

Mine is a new 5.4L 2V (non lightning) motor. I installed a 2001 lightning blower with all stock pullies. This was to insure that I would only generate only at the most 10 lbs of boost. Installed a 4r100 tranny with 373 posi rear end. Once complete I had it turned and placed on dyno. It generates 465 whp.

I have left to do is the hydro boost brake upgrade.

My interior is completely redone and custom.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried to keep all stock so that way anyone could have it like me. No special upgrades.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread is driving me crazy with all the possibilities for my 99 Expedition Eddie Bauer.

A couple of questions.

Great thread and thanks for the answers in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to share more detail, glad you are enjoying the build along with me!

Was the motor you built a direct drop in replacement? - Yes

You must have a 2wd Expedition as I could not find a Belltech rear sway bar for a 4wd Expedition?

Yes, it is 2wd, although the 2wd and 4wd swaybars are the same from my understanding. Same as nobody listing 4wd drop springs for the rear but everyone uses the 2wd ones and they work fine.

Why did you change the differential? What can the new differential do that the stock one cannot?

The stock trac-loc limited slip uses clutches for limited slip that wear out, especially with more power. The Eaton Truetrac is 100% mechanical and will last a lifetime.

Can you explain a bit more about the Hydro-Boost install. Did you just need a Hydro-Boost and a spacer and it was a direct drop in install or was there more involved. From what scrap vehicles can you pull a compatible Hydro-Boast from?

It's a near, but not quite, 100% drop in. The hydroboost can come off any F250 or F350 diesel, just make sure you get it with the two adapters coming off it like the one in my pictures, those are what the power steering lines connect to, they are pricey otherwise. You need to run new lines from the power steering pump to the hydroboost, and then from the hydroboost to the steering box, as well as a low pressure return line from the hydroboost that tees into the stock return line. I used off the shelf hose for the return line, and these lines can be adapted as the pressure lines with some gentle re-bending of the hard line sections.

Line from hydroboost to gear box: Gates # 352790 (02 f250 7.3)
Line from power steering pump to hydroboost: Gates #365493 (06 f250 6.0)

The other wrinkle is the adjustable pedal rod, with the stock pedal rod the brake pedal will get closer to the floor, to bring it back up you need the adjsutable rod or to weld an extension on.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another slightly random update. Bumper is off for refinishing and with the spare out of the way while I was cleaning it, seemed like a good opportunity to play around some with the go-pro and see the custom rear panhard and all the goodies at work.

45bb2894c44d24aa7c4db9ccf22aa34dc35562c8.JPG

Some more updates coming in the next few weeks too, here's a teaser....

1279310dc202b52417d7ab8e22c82cbbf536c397.JPG

fc2dae152d2740152d438d21cce6602ad00de2a5.JPG

acolic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a date range to keep within for the F250 diesel and F350 diesel?

Happy to share more detail, glad you are enjoying the build along with me!

Was the motor you built a direct drop in replacement? - Yes

You must have a 2wd Expedition as I could not find a Belltech rear sway bar for a 4wd Expedition?

Yes, it is 2wd, although the 2wd and 4wd swaybars are the same from my understanding. Same as nobody listing 4wd drop springs for the rear but everyone uses the 2wd ones and they work fine.

Why did you change the differential? What can the new differential do that the stock one cannot?

The stock trac-loc limited slip uses clutches for limited slip that wear out, especially with more power. The Eaton Truetrac is 100% mechanical and will last a lifetime.

Can you explain a bit more about the Hydro-Boost install. Did you just need a Hydro-Boost and a spacer and it was a direct drop in install or was there more involved. From what scrap vehicles can you pull a compatible Hydro-Boast from?

It's a near, but not quite, 100% drop in. The hydroboost can come off any F250 or F350 diesel, just make sure you get it with the two adapters coming off it like the one in my pictures, those are what the power steering lines connect to, they are pricey otherwise. You need to run new lines from the power steering pump to the hydroboost, and then from the hydroboost to the steering box, as well as a low pressure return line from the hydroboost that tees into the stock return line. I used off the shelf hose for the return line, and these lines can be adapted as the pressure lines with some gentle re-bending of the hard line sections.

Line from hydroboost to gear box: Gates # 352790 (02 f250 7.3)
Line from power steering pump to hydroboost: Gates #365493 (06 f250 6.0)

The other wrinkle is the adjustable pedal rod, with the stock pedal rod the brake pedal will get closer to the floor, to bring it back up you need the adjsutable rod or to weld an extension on.

acolic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a date range to keep within for the F250 diesel and F350 diesel?

Just out of curiosity would you have gone with the TruTrac differential if you were going to use the Expedition off road??