'01 Oil Pressure Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Joros

Reaction score
Let me start by saying the oil is full in crank case and I change it every 5K miles since the truck was new, I currently have 243K miles.. This is my baby and is garaged nightly. It was a 50 degree morning I started the truck and drove it for about 1/4 mile the oil pressure light came on, the oil gauge dropped to zero and the interior bells started to ring. BUT ONLY FOR 1 SECOND. As suddenly as it started it stopped. I check the oil level it was fine. I was traveling and I drove it for 3 hours with no problems. Is this a symptom of a problem that is about to happen? Of is this just a one off fluke because of age?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oil pressure sensor on the Expedition Does Not measure pressure like a true pressure gauge It is just a switch that says you do or don't have oil pressure Think of it as a light switch. In your case its possible that you could have a problem. What I would do is install a new pressure switch. And keep a close eye on it or install a true pressure gauge.

Have you ever noticed the gauge in the instrument cluster always stays at the same point regardless of the engine RPM's. Again that is because the pressure switch(sensor) is just a switch either on or off

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360