03 EB VSM/gremlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
Hey y'all, hope everyone is doing well. Been a while since I've been on due to work and health but I'm glad to see everyone's cool rides!

I've done so much work to my 03 since I bought it about 3 years and I'm now finally getting to the VSM. I had the VSM (which it might not even be called) ford dealer called it a smart junction box, the other ford dealer said junction box module, etc. Either way, I had it replaced yesterday and some of the most annoying electrical gremlins have disappeared. Initially, all the problems I was having were as follows:
1. Door Ajar light always on
2. Dome lights turning on randomly when headlights are on.
3. Having to manually power dash lights each time I turned on the headlights because the dash wouldn't illuminate until I did and waiting for dome lights to turn off once I hit first gear.
4. Dome lights not turning on when door would open.
5. When I hit remote, mirrors would go crazy and seat always moves up. Very annoying.
6. Auto headlights always on.
7. Door locks unlocking while driving.
8. Door locks not locking once I started moving. (Setting was set to on)

So after I got the truck back from a local mechanic who has always done great work for and actually uses a guy that works at a Ford dealer to program the VSM, it started working much better. Problems 5,6 and 8 remained. (Other 3 doors do not trigger the door ajar or dome light but I can live with that as it might be bad sensors in the door) the only problem is, once I got the truck back my power fold seats no longer work, my auto headlights don't work at all and my liftgate glass no longer works. I also can no longer toggle through the setting for my door locks to lock when moving.

Could they have hooked something back up in the wrong spot or do you think it might be an electrical problem at this point? Liftgate, power seats and headlights were all working before. Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI You need to know which module was replaced

Your 03 has what is called a VSM (Vehicle Security Module) which is totally different than the
SJB (Smart Junction Box) also called the CJB (Central Junction Box) but most will referred to it as the fuse box

They are both mounted very close to each other The SJB contains all the fuses
The VSM can be identified as it will have large black numbers on it which id the keypad code
The SJB is mounted behind the passenger side kick panel The VSM should be mounted under the dash but above and slightly forward of the SJB

The VSM can be the cause of your remaining problems #5, 6 and 8
However the SJB could also be a problem if that was changed and wasn't reconnected properly

OP
OP
L

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
Before I purchased it, I did a fair amount of research but kept being told it was called something else by the parts experts at the stealership. I have a new access code for my keyless entry now so it was in fact the VSM that got replaced. I'll have to get my mechanic to check it out. I was also thinking something was connected wrong since I lost power to the rear of the vehicle and never had issues before. Liftgate glass and rear powerfold seats were working great before the switch but are all non functional now. :/

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as Bedrck47, but I'll throw my two cents in.

The 6 problem could be as simple as the sensor that is mounted on the center of the dash. Does your radio dim at night when the headlights are on or is it at full brightness?

5 might have something to do with the memory module for the mirrors or the mirrors might need to be reprogrammed and their position memorized and saved.

The doors auto lock when the vehicle hits 12 mph, maybe there is a bad sensor that isn't sensing the speed correctly.

Like I said, just my 2 cents.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicle security module controls the following systems:

• perimeter alarm
      • remote keyless entry (and panic feature)
      • computer-operated locks
      • autolamp
Check the following fuses in he SJB
      • 5 (7.5A)
      • 6 (15A)
      • 30 (30A)
      • 40 (20A)
All the above fuses have power at all times. Check to see if voltage is present at the fuse

OP
OP
L

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
ExpeditionAndy, I thought it might've been a sensor but they were staying on at all times before I replaced the vsm. When I switch to auto headlights they don't operate at all now. That's why I'm leaning towards something with the vsm. I actually didn't know there was a memory module for the seat and mirrors so I'm going to look into that. As far as the auto lock, it never worked but I was still able to toggle through the on and off settings. Once I replaced the vsm I was no longer able to toggle through the settings. Might have something to do with the programming? Thanks for all great feedback!

Bedrck47,

Thanks so much for the info. I'll check those fuses when I get out of work tonight. When I use the keyless entry system my seats and mirrors stay put. It's only when I use the keyless entry system.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The remote also uses the memory function whereas the keypad only opens and closes the locks. Two different functions I also have to agree that it may have something to do with the programing of the new VSM being those items that are not operation were operating before the VSM was replaced

Let me know how you make out with the fuses.

FYI The 3rd row fold down seats also use the VSM see the attached print and also check the fuses shown in that print

Attachments

• 120-04.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 26

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Condition
  • The third row power fold seat is inoperative — Left and Right
Possible Sources
  • Fuse(s).
  • Circuitry.
  • Body Security Module (BSM).