'03 Front right brake caliper grinding/rubbing on rim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Volk

Reaction score
I recently heard a light rubbing or grinding noise while driving, most prevalent when backing up. I went to the local Ford dealership for a consult and they pointed out grind marks on the rim, about half an inch wide. They also said something about it [the rotor] locking up [though the person who said isn't wasn't a tech]. Before this I had smoke coming from under the hood, but I couldn't tell exactly where, when I was looking in the engine compartment I couldn't see the smoke but when I was back from the truck I could see it.

I went to a local place for a "brake inspection" and they said they had no idea why it was grinding. The bolts were intact. They did suggest that it could be a bent spindle, but I don't see how that would make a pretty even mark all around the inside of the rim.

To make this even more mysterious, when I drove off after that I couldn't hear the grind. I did a little driving around, including backing up and no grinding or anything at all.

Anyone encounter anything like this before? Ideas?
I will post a pic of the grind area after my phone is charged.

20160920_180941.jpg

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check that anti-rattle spring on the outside of the caliper. The clearance is very tight between it and the rim spokes, and if it's out of position you'll get a grinding noise. I don't know where you would get smoke unless your caliper was frozen and the pads were dragging, but you'd feel a big pull to that side if that was the case.

-Mike

Check that this flat spring is in correct position .... flat against the caliper....

ExpodBrakeAntiRattleSpring_zps86fa450e.jpg

OP
OP
V

Volk

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I edited my post, a person at the dealership, a sales person, pointed out the grind mark and sait that the rotor was locking up. I don't know if it actually was the rotor or something else.

Edit:

Interestingly enough though I think there are old wear marks on the rim from that spring rubbing.

Last edited: