03 no crank...no clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bedrck46

how many miles on the expy also if you do replace the cables get some noalox and put on the connection point you can get a small tube at lowes or homedepot

B

bedrck46

Noalox Anti-Oxidant Compound you can Google it to see what all its used for

jent v

Reaction score
Do you take the relay out and put the meter where the pin 85 and 86 go in the fuse panel

B

bedrck46

if you take the relay and put your VOLT meter in those sockets for pins 85 and 86 ant then turn the key on you should see 12 volts

jent v

Reaction score
yes. That should be the only time you get the voltage.

Before you actually get a voltage the meter will probably jump around below +1V (DC). That's normal. When it actually picks up a voltage you should see OL for a second then the actual voltage. Doesn't matter which pins you connect to which leads. Only difference you are going to see a +12V or -12V. Either is good. I suggest trying it on a AA battery or something similar if you want to see what you are looking for.

If you are hearing it from the fuse box it possibly indicates the relay is working, but it's better to check to make sure.

I wouldn't put it past the battery either like bertro mentioned. When it isn't working have another vehicle to jump it and try it. How old is your battery? What is the warranty on your battery (ok indication of life)? So you aren't hearing the starter click at all? Usually even with a low battery it clicks, just not turn over, but my 06 durango acted weird when the battery was dying.

So first to check is pin 85 (under relay) to the positive battery terminal (+) and have a friend turn the key and hold it in the start position or you can do it yourself if you can get everything to stay in place and be able to see the multimeter while you turn the key. If that's good (12V+), connect a lead to pin 86 and the other to the negative terminal (-) and turn the key to the start position. If that's also good (12V+), that means your starter circuit minus the relay is good. Swap relays with something that takes the same relay like your high beam relay if that's the same (something that you can drive without for the meantime). If it doesn't work that means your pcm is good, relay is good, park/neutral switch is good, and everything else in that path. There is still the possibility, like expeditionandy said, that the relay is not making a good connection and is/was causing your problem, but you should do the next steps to verify power to the starter if the relay swap didn't fix it. Pull the starter relay back out. Connect one lead to pin 30 and the other to the negative battery terminal (don't need to start). You should again see 12v+. If not check for power at the fuse (pull fuse F1.101 in the fuse box, put one lead on one of the two pins and the other on the negative terminal. Check the other if you don't get power on the first one. With the fuse out only one will get power) and verify similar voltage as you were getting before. If you have power there and not pin 30 you probably have a bad fuse or possibly connection. Swap it with another fuse with the same amp rating and check pin 30 under the relay again for power like before. If all that ends up being good and all the relays and fuses are good and it still won't start you will have to check for power at the starter which I can go into detail in case you have a bad starter.
I didnt have any voltage on Pin 85 and 86 like the way you said to do it. Pin 30 was the only thing to have voltage on it. Any suggestions

B

bedrck46

Pull the relay out of the fuse block
Take your meter and have it on the resistance range
Place one lead on a good ground and place the other lead in in the fuse block socket for pin 85. Turn the key to the start position and see if you get a continuity reading. should be very low Ohms. You should get a reading in Ohms. Let us know that value
Turn key off

Then put your meter in the DC volt range

Put one lead on a good ground and place the other lead in the fuse block socket for pin 86
Turn the key to the start position with the shift lever in park and see if you get a voltage reading.
If no reading in park try it in neutral and see if you get a voltage reading. Let us know that value.

Last edited by a moderator:

jent v

Reaction score
I didnt get any ohms on Pin 85 and didnt get any voltage on Pin 86 in neutral or park