04 EB electrical issue-delayed acc relay issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been doing some rocker panel work on my 04 EB Expedition (slip on rockers). I went with rivets and metal auto adhesive since I have never welded thin metal and did not want to practice on this project! So, as I drilled some holes along the top where the big weatherstripping sits (where the big bundle of wires sits behind-driver's side) I poked the wire bundle a few times before I smartened up and put a piece of wood behind it. After that, I discovered some things did not work. So from searching this forum and others, I think it has something to do with the delayed accessory relay.

What doesn't work: electric windows, gauges (instrument lights do work), radio, interior lights, vanity light, under hood light, moon roof, vent windows, automatic headlights, 4wd indicator)

What does work: high beam indicator, headlights (high and low), tail lights, brake lights, instrument panel lights, heater blower, signal lights, door locks, wipers, daytime running lights.

There is no power to fuse #22, so I am guessing it is a wire problem that gets power to the fuse. I assume then the power goes to the delayed accessory relay. I did try swapping relay #02 and 03, but with no power to it I guess that probably was a useless test.

I did notice by the rear door (driver side), there is a green wire with a brown stripe that has a nick in the coating. The wire is not broken but the drill bit clearly glanced across the coating. I plan to cut that wire and put it back together.

So, which wire am I looking at that gets power to fuse #22, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I also tried disconnecting the battery for a while hoping that would work-it did not!

Thanks to everyone who posts such great info on this forum for us do it yourself kind of folks!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to pull the accessory delay relay
Then take your volt meter and place one lead on a good solid ground and the other lead you will put into the slot for pin 86 and pin 30 of the relay socket and see what voltage you have at those 2 slots You can look on the side of the relay to see what slots are for pins 86 and 30.
Post the voltage results

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE So, which wire am I looking at that gets power to fuse #22, or am I barking up the wrong tree? [/QUOTE]

Your sort of looking up the wrong tree

Fuse 22 get its power from the accessory delay relay contact Both the relay and the fuse are part of the circuit board inside of the fuse box Therefore there is no external wire

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can post some pictures of your repair as you go. I'm sure people would want to see it. A lot of guys can't weld, including me. Thanks. I hope you get your electrical issue solved.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to pull the accessory delay relay
Then take your volt meter and place one lead on a good solid ground and the other lead you will put into the slot for pin 86 and pin 30 of the relay socket and see what voltage you have at those 2 slots You can look on the side of the relay to see what slots are for pins 86 and 30.
Post the voltage results
Thank you-I will do this and post results.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can post some pictures of your repair as you go. I'm sure people would want to see it. A lot of guys can't weld, including me. Thanks. I hope you get your electrical issue solved.
It's not exactly what I planned on doing as it got cold here and my other vehicle is having issues. I needed to wrap this up quicker than I planned so I did not take as much time on the body work as I would have liked. But, it's not all jagged rust so that's a plus! I opted to paint it with bed liner to camouflage the sketchy body work. With the doors closed, no one can see it anyway. It's functional but not photo worthy!

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE So, which wire am I looking at that gets power to fuse #22, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Your sort of looking up the wrong tree

Fuse 22 get its power from the accessory delay relay contact Both the relay and the fuse are part of the circuit board inside of the fuse box Therefore there is no external wire[/QUOTE]
So, if I don't have adequate power at the relay.....I have bigger issues? Great:-(

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE So, if I don't have adequate power at the relay.....I have bigger issues? Great:-([/QUOTE]

How do you know you don't have adequate power at the relay.?????????

I asked if you would post the voltage at pins 86 and 30 at the relay socked. And until you post those figures we will not know if you have the correct voltage or not.

The only way ANYONE can help you is for you to answer what they ask you to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357