04 with 260k miles...........how far should i push my luck ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you wait too long, it's always a gamble. You got a few choices. Drain the pan and clean it and magnet. Or disconnect line from cooler and run and refill, along with pan/ filter. Or have a shop flush it, don't recommend 3 rd choice. Time and time again you guys write in with high mileage trans fluid service. Why? Don't you have owners books, or didn't someone tell you this is one of the most crucial services besides lof that needs to be done. The younger generation has the internet for everything, we didn't but we knew. I'm wondering why everyone thinks their exempt, your not! This is like the 10 th post with ridiculous high trans mile change intervals. Come on guys dummy up , if you were in my shop I'd probably give you a Moe slap across the face. Change your fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeD

Reaction score
Moose, easiest fluid change I've experienced was a Saturn - drain plug and external spin on filter ;)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I worked for Saturn. Smartest filter I've ever seen, a spin on. Why don't more manufacturers do that. It's not as good as dropping the pan, and cleaning out debris. But if it meant regular fluid changes like oil, it would be a step in the right direction. Guess they all want to sell you guys a tranny, after the warranties up.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 4r100 has a drain plug. Makes that part at least a lot easier.

I had an aux filter on my Explorer for awhile. I took it out. I still have the remote filter mount for it. Might install it on my Expedition.

lane87

Reaction score
OK, here it is, I do (almost) all my own work on my Expy and the reason I never touched the trans fluid over 200K is because early on (during warranty days) the service guy at Ford dealership said it was designed to last the life of the vehicle. Hence the no drain plug. Made sense at the time but you all have me certainly thinking otherwise now. Dang. This car looks and drives like it is new and I really wish I would have taken better care of the trans. Very little problems over the last 14 yrs. It has been a gem. Never towed anything much and now I hear an occasional "shutter" shifting into 6 on the freeway.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An 03, depending on engine, and whether 2 or 4 wheel drive has a 4 speed 4r100 or 4 r70w. They both require service at no more than 50k intervals. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. Even the later 6 speeds, still need fluid/ filter changes at no more than 130k. At this point changing fluid will probably cause too many issues. You pretty much have to ride it out, and start getting better advice, like maybe techs that drive these vehicles everyday. Gee our website has those guys!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See now I'm confused, you said my 03 expy 5.4 with 200k miles. Then you say in a later post I hear an occasional shutter shifting into 6 on the freeway. 2007 is the first 6r75 and 6r80 6 speed automatics. What year vehicle do you have? Did you put a 2007 transmission in a 2003 second edition? Doubt it as it probably wouldn't function with the early computer. So what's the deal.

lane87

Reaction score
Thanks 1955Mosse. I understand I got bad advice. Correct 4 speed. 2WD. Guess I will just eat the $3-5k when it goes then. This vehicle is in too good of shape. Manual says only check fluid levels 100k + unless tran is AX4S and I guess the dude thought that meant 4WD???Hell if I know.

Reaction score
If you have a 4R70W, lift the truck as much as you can, dump whatever fluid you can get, replace all the solenoids with new, replace the filter, clean out the pan and the magnet, and then top off with fresh Mercon V or Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF from walmart, $17.87 per gallon. You can get the full solenoid set for $69 on ebay.
they get contaminated by metal particulates suspended in the fluid. from the friction disks, the metal plates, the overdrive band, and the reverse band. the solenoids are operated by electrical voltage on small electro magnets. they will fail. and when they do, you will get broken teeth on hard parts. Sun Gear teeth and Planetary teeth.
Spend the $150 before it turns to $1500.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good advice ******!