06 Expy XLT Noises ..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Originally posted by itsmarta
I have a 2003 xlt and had roof noises. the noise was a rattling sound. I discovered the roof rack was the cause. The long horizontal piece was loose in the connection to the moveable mounting piece. I shimmed the small opening with a couple of pennys and it ended the problem. The wind from driving would make the piece (shaped like a wing) vibrate in the slot. Heat and cold would make it expand and contract thus causing the intermittent roof rattle.
Hope this helps

Many thanks itsmarta,

This sounds like a reasonable justification.

Did the dealer figure this reason out or did you find it by yourself?

How would I make sure that this is what is causing the rattling sound in my car?

Also, would it be possible if you show (using a skitch) what did you do to fix this.

I appreciate any help and many thanks in advance.

Regards
- Ziad

Last edited:

itsmarta

Reaction score
i figured it out myself with some help from another engineer. its easy to try the fix. simply look at where the horizontal roof rack member enters the "hole" for the verticle adjustable roof rack mount. grab the horizontal roof rack member and wiggle it. if there is play in it, it will vibrate as the air flow passes by it. stuff a penny or whatever you can shim into the small slot and push it in tight so it won't fall out when driving. the slot that the horizontal member goes into is an oval shape just like the shape of the horizontal roof rack.
The adjustable "sliding" rack mount may also have some play in it. if it does, shim it so it won't vibrate. If this is your problem and the shims work, you may want to inject a silicone caulk into the openings and remove the shims. just dont get the silicone on the paint as it may damage the finish.

OP
OP
Z

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Rattles finally fixed !!!

Hi All,

Finally the dealer fixed the rattling noises.

Fix: They removed the top and found that roof racks' screws were loose.

Regards
- Ziad