06 rear wheel bearing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieselboy2343

Reaction score
Got a 06 expedition 4x4 and trying to get the left rear wheel bearing off but can't get cv shaft to come out. Tryed 3 jaw puller and pb blaster and hammer. Trying not to damage shaft so looking for ideas or pics on how to get it out.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to youtube and search for videos on replacing the hub bearing There are a few good videos there

OP
OP
D

Dieselboy2343

Reaction score
Yeh I tryed finding some but most of them just show them popping right off of course mine I'm sure is rusted right in

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you having a problem getting the cv joint shaft to slide out of the hub bearing?

Got an air compressor and a air chisel with a punch tip?

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If no air ,

Put the cv nut back on until it is flush with the end of the shaft, take a socket , impact socket prefered, that is slightly smaller in diameter the the shaft end, hold socket to shaft and hit with a big hammer until the shaft loosens.

The cv nut flush to shaft is just in case you slip with socket , prevents damaging cv shaft threads

Does not take much to get the shaft to move.

Use a slide puller to remove hub, after you unbolt it first, obviously

OP
OP
D

Dieselboy2343

Reaction score
Yeh I can't get the cv shaft to move out of the bearing I did try the air hammer and chisel bit too. Sorry I forgot to mention that. It still did not want to move at all. I'm wondering if I will have to torch the bearing off.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I will say is keep trying they can be a PITA to remove

If you looked at the videos the one I looked at there was a nice bit of rust on the shaft. When you finally do get it off use a wire brush and clean up the shaft then apply a thin coat of lube on the shaft to help prevent rust

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So true on the pain in the ass part, air chisel usually works, but when there stuck, need to break out the big hammer and teach it a lesson.

Without smashing a hand in the process.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So true on the pain in the ass part, air chisel usually works, but when there stuck, need to break out the big hammer and teach it a lesson.

Without smashing a hand in the process.

Or missing and breaking something else