06 rear wheel bearing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't see how he is going to remove the hub with a 3 jaw puller, needs a slide hammer at best.

Could use a chisel and work the hub off, but that is taking a chance on gouging seating/mating area .

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could use a chisel and work the hub off, but that is taking a chance on gouging seating/mating area .

That's what happened in the video I looked at.

Maybe use some more PB Blaster and let it sit over night or maybe a little heat on the bearing

One thing he could try is to put the bolts about 1/4 to 1/2 way in and try hitting them from the back side May just cause the bearing to move somewhat

I know that's in a hard to reach area

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never used PB blaster or WD40 to remove hubs, brute force usually good enough to get them apart.

His best bet is a slide hammer, makes hub removing alot easier.

Next is the hammer and chisel, have a metal file handy just incase a gouge happens. Just going to take alot longer to remove hub.

OP
OP
D

Dieselboy2343

Reaction score
My first attempt was hitting the end of the shaft with a hammer, putting the nut on to protect threads but the end of the shaft flattening out to the point I could not get the nut off without grinding the end down. So that's why I stopped just beating it but I will try the nut and socket trick and hopefully get some kind of movement

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is why I would use a impact socket, putting the cv nut flush and hitting shaft with the hammer will mess up the shaft threads and or nut.

Learning experience for next time.

Use a impact socket, there beefier and can handle the abuse your going to give it, when you hammer away, I use a 4lb sledge hammer for stuck cv shafts

Make sure the impact socket is smaller in diameter then cv shaft end, cv nut flush to prevent thread damage , just in case.

Sounds like you got one of those pain in the ass cv shafts. PB blast it really good on the back side , if you can get it to go in

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you unbolt the hub?

If not, do that, then try and remove the hub, get the hub to slide out about a 1/4", then try the socket and hammer, see if the cv shaft moves.

This will relieve any binding in the cv joint, or lack of slack in other words.

OP
OP
D

Dieselboy2343

Reaction score
Yes I did have it unbolted and I tryed air hammering where the bearing bolts up to try and spin it a little but didn't want to move.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, start removing the hub, as I mentioned , I think the cv is binding up, should not be this much trouble removing.

Get the hub out about 1/4" or more ,that should relieve any binding or lack of slack in cv, use socket and hammer on cv shaft, should start to move.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once the cv shaft starts to move, you should be able to slide out hub and knock the cv shaft out .