07-12 Intake mod - Like Gotts mod but easier & cheaper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI, skillful use of a 5lb deadblow hammer takes care of the old snorkel in about 10 seconds.

VA epxy

Reaction score
The intake I'm working on should be around $75 (not including the filter, I'm just running an STP paper filter for now), and it retains the stock airbox. I should have pics and info up by Tuesday/Wednesday of next week if you are interested.

Did you get to finish your project? Im interested in any pics you can post of the finished product.

Also, thanks for the great snorkel idea & part number! im still trying to find a nice cai. the S&B one didnt fit, because of a hood sensor by the readiator overflow tank. But this snorkel keeps everything looking clean and not jimmy rigged like the typical gotts mod.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hit a snag on a silicone elbow, so I'm waiting for another elbow to be shipped. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well here's my $75 intake. If I were going to keep this, I would get some nicer hose clamps and clean up the cut I had to make on the silicone elbow. I feel like it lost a little power from this mod, so I might go back to stock, or go with an aftermarket kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 797

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder why it would cause a loss of power? It's a smoother path for the air to travel. And the MAF is still in the stock housing. Might be worth it to run a full tank of gas with it on there and see if there's any change in mileage.

mazdaparts

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd clean the MAF and throttle body, then do a reset (disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights). Give it try then and let the computer relearn.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea it didn't make sense to me either, and it may just be my imagination. I did clean the MAF while I had it open, but didn't think about cleaning the TB. I went back to stock since I'm getting ready to drive to CO for the Holidays. I'll play with it more after New Years.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nah, I haven't messed with it much after I felt like it lost power. I might mess with it again in the spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze