07-15 LED Tails, LED Brake and LED Reverse bulb project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snomon

Reaction score
Today I put on chrome (and not red, smoke, or black) LED tails to compliment the chrome headlights and white body color on my 2015. I also added LED 3rd Brake light and LED reverse bulbs.. Usually I'm not a fan of clear/chrome LED tails, but in this case with a white body, and the chrome accents on this year's model makes it blend in nicely...

Before pic (boo...)

20150613_161928_zpsuo0p1tmf.jpg

Added driver side first. Note huge resistor it came with. It's like a little brick the size of three 9 volt batteries.

20150613_163247_zps0z05gop2.jpg

20150613_162417_zps6cjowpie.jpg

20150613_174542_zpslrutgcrx.jpg

Testing driver side... much better than stock fixture:

20150613_163724_zpsmgur9pcc.jpg

Testing LED backup bulb:

20150613_163809_zpslcjintyb.jpg

Unboxing chrome (more like silver) LED 3rd light

20150613_165815_zpsl8prxb2k.jpg

Finished job. Pretty happy how it turned out.

20150613_170532_zpswt92o2m6.jpg

A quick look at the front end to show how the chrome tail LED goes compliments with the front headlamps:

20150613_174555_zpsm1dienbv.jpg

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks great. Why Ford hasn't switched the Expeditions OEM tail lights to LED by now is beyond me. I do like the new front fascias.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a FYI unless things have changed for the '15s you can swap the relay and use LEDs thus keeping th flash rate the same. The replacement relay eliminates that need for resistors and takes all of 1 minute to do with no wiring splicing or extra plugs.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a FYI unless things have changed for the '15s you can swap the relay and use LEDs thus keeping th flash rate the same. The replacement relay eliminates that need for resistors and takes all of 1 minute to do with no wiring splicing or extra plugs.

where does this relay go? is there more information somewhere?

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I did this on my 05 so I have no idea if things are in the same place 10 model years newer. However on mine it was under the drivers side dash alongside another relay. There are two types of relays IIRC they are thermal and electronic. You would want to change this to electronic which keeps the same flash rate regardless of load.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shouldn't be a problem with just swapping the tails...when you put LED signals in the headlights with the tails is when u might see this as a prob...

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You replace the current relay (which is resistance based) with a time based relay. It's probably all of a 1 minute job once you have the relay.

shouldn't be a problem with just swapping the tails...when you put LED signals in the headlights with the tails is when u might see this as a prob...

Any bulb out or significant drop (which LEDs are) will cause a variance in the flash rate. Manufacturers typically use resistance based to alert drivers of a faults.

cheapjeep

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry bud there is no relay. The flasher is built into the body control module on the later Expy's. To eliminate the fast flash bulb out warning you get with led's you have to go to the dealer and have them turn it off with their scanner.No big deal,fleets do it all the time but it will probably cost you $50 or so.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry bud there is no relay. The flasher is built into the body control module on the later Expy's. To eliminate the fast flash bulb out warning you get with led's you have to go to the dealer and have them turn it off with their scanner.No big deal,fleets do it all the time but it will probably cost you $50 or so.

sorry "bud" you are incorrect but what would I know I've got a late model expediton...crazy right? :favorites37:

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry "bud" you are incorrect but what would I know I've got a late model expediton...crazy right? :favorites37:

can you tell me where it is? i have a 2011, and my service manual tells me its all controlled by the BCM