07 Expy replacement headlight options (under $500 for both)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Funstuie

Reaction score
Hey all

This is a confusing and seemingly expensive subject. The headlights in my 07 Expedition leave me wanting more. The current output is not great and they are faded and crazed (is that the right word?). I did a restore on them and they are better than before but the light is pretty sucky:IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0107.JPG

So looking to replace. I have read about retrofitting them and I contacted SickHids and the cost is crazy.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket headlights? Any good experience?

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCFL-Halo-2...98888fe&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=191168474605

What other options to I have to replace?

Chriscpr84

Reaction score
Well if you end up getting a new set I would be happy to buy those from you. Mine are horrible looking.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
How about you instal an HID kit to your existing headlights and see how much that helps your output before you go spending big $$$ on a new set of headlight assemblies. I had the same complaint as you did with my factory set up, after switching to hid it was like night & day difference.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put 35W HID low beams in my old 05 and they had the best light of any headlights that I've had. They were way better than the projectors that I have in the 17 right now.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While you certainly can just slap some HID bulbs in the reflector housings, you'll get far more usable light by properly retrofitting projectors. You'll also avoid blinding other drivers, which is inevitable when putting HID bulbs in reflectors (the only people that will tell you otherwise are those that already installed them and don't really give a s**t about other drivers). I am blinded almost daily by these idiots now that HID bulbs have become so popular. :mad:

Doing a proper retrofit isn't terribly expensive if you do it yourself. You can pick up a Mini H1 projector retrofit kit at TRS for $270 ($282 with the Retro Rubber). If you can wait until the first week of July, they'll be running their annual July 4th sale, which will get you 20% off $200+ or 25% off $300+ plus they'll probably toss in the Retro Rubber for free again like they did during the Black Friday sale. That makes it $216 for this kit. There are plenty of other projector options but I mention this kit, specifically, because the Mini H1s will fit in the 3rd gen housing without cutting the reflectors, which makes the job fairly easy.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anzo aftermarket headlight assemblies (~$270 / pair & are basic PROJECTORS) + basic noname 35w HIDs $30ish (4000-5000K better, but 6000K ok if theyre cheaper or easier to get - other colors often more expensive or not in stock)

Since theyre pretty high up, best get new fogs (~$40) and LED bulbs for those - same color temp or one step lower = yelllower)

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about you instal an HID kit to your existing headlights and see how much that helps your output before you go spending big $$$ on a new set of headlight assemblies. I had the same complaint as you did with my factory set up, after switching to hid it was like night & day difference.

HIDs and reflector (oldskool headlights with mirror segments and no cutoff) do NOT mix.

Gotta have projectors... btw with basic cheap projectors, folk wisdom seems to be to only use 35W HIDs

OP
OP
F

Funstuie

Reaction score
While you certainly can just slap some HID bulbs in the reflector housings, you'll get far more usable light by properly retrofitting projectors. You'll also avoid blinding other drivers, which is inevitable when putting HID bulbs in reflectors (the only people that will tell you otherwise are those that already installed them and don't really give a s**t about other drivers). I am blinded almost daily by these idiots now that HID bulbs have become so popular. :mad:

Doing a proper retrofit isn't terribly expensive if you do it yourself. You can pick up a Mini H1 projector retrofit kit at TRS for $270 ($282 with the Retro Rubber). If you can wait until the first week of July, they'll be running their annual July 4th sale, which will get you 20% off $200+ or 25% off $300+ plus they'll probably toss in the Retro Rubber for free again like they did during the Black Friday sale. That makes it $216 for this kit. There are plenty of other projector options but I mention this kit, specifically, because the Mini H1s will fit in the 3rd gen housing without cutting the reflectors, which makes the job fairly easy.

Do you know of any video instructions for doing this option?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know of any video instructions for doing this option?

Theyre mad pricey and too much work

Anzo full assemblies with mediocre projector already inside cost about the same and pop right in

20170306_233454.jpg

$270ish / pair projector headlight assemblies
$30 or so nobrand 35w 6000k HIDs

If i did it again Id get 4500-5000K instead tho