07 Expy replacement headlight options (under $500 for both)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Here Gixer if it makes you any happier buddy
First 3 pics are 25 steps away from garage door (I wear size 11.5)
1. Low beams (55w hid)
2. Low beams and fogs (55w hid both)
3. Fogs alone (55w hid)
4. Original halogens
Not sure the distance was for 4 but close enough to where I parked for those first 3.

View attachment 19511

View attachment 19512

View attachment 19513

View attachment 19514
Are you not seeing the scatter and glare in your pictures? Look how much light on the halogen is above your cutoff. Almost none. That's called scatter or glare and is what blinds other drivers. Its also a wasted light. I'd still love to see a pic at 25' or further to help you understand better. Done of what we see is a reflection from the garage door but most is not.

This is mine at 55' on an upward incline tilted slightly left because I don't have a garage at home. Any light above my cutoff exept the street light? Not a spec! Hids do not focus correctly in a halogen reflector and considering you lowered your beam to compensate you've just created a safety hazard for yourself.

20170308_202709.jpg

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Oh your worried about light scatter... Man I thought something completely different. here's the truth, I could care less about light scatter... It doesn't cost me a penny to waste all that extra light. If I wanted a pure cutoff I would've gone and bought a truck worthy of such honor... Say a Range Rover HSE?? In the mean time this for the price of that will do just fine for me

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Oh your worried about light scatter... Man I thought something completely different. here's the truth, I could care less about light scatter... It doesn't cost me a penny to waste all that extra light. If I wanted a pure cutoff I would've gone and bought a truck worthy of such honor... Say a Range Rover HSE?? In the mean time this for the price of that will do just fine for me

In the end all that matters is your happy with it but scatter blinds other drivers. Just saying...

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok back to subject

As I was saying get yourself an hid kit then aim properly. You'll pat yourself on the back when you see the difference.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give everybody that followed this thread an update.

I installed my 55W HIDs into the factory projectors today. They came out really great, much brighter than the LEDs that I had put in with more penetration. Funny because the LEDs were 60W 6000 lumens each and 6000K color the HIDS are 55W 4200 lumens and 5000K color.

This picture is parked about 25 feet from a building on flat ground. I am very happy with the beam pattern and it has a great cutoff. I think that I can raise the right one just a little more and still be good. I took this one with my wife's cell phone and it doesn't have the greatest camera.
IMG_1920.JPG.jpeg

These are the HIDs that I got: https://www.xenonhids.com/9005-single-beam-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

I ordered them with the Galaxy Series Ballasts - 55W AC Digital Performance with CANBUS Technology and Built-In warning cancellers.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to give everybody that followed this thread an update.

I installed my 55W HIDs into the factory projectors today. They came out really great, much brighter than the LEDs that I had put in with more penetration. Funny because the LEDs were 60W 6000 lumens each and 6000K color the HIDS are 55W 4200 lumens and 5000K color.

This picture is parked about 25 feet from a building on flat ground. I am very happy with the beam pattern and it has a great cutoff. I think that I can raise the right one just a little more and still be good. I took this one with my wife's cell phone and it doesn't have the greatest camera.
View attachment 19600

These are the HIDs that I got: https://www.xenonhids.com/9005-single-beam-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html

I ordered them with the Galaxy Series Ballasts - 55W AC Digital Performance with CANBUS Technology and Built-In warning cancellers.
my 2013 F150 had HIDs and they looked alot like the expys lights.
i was unaware the expys are halogens behind the funny looking lense
may have to look around now
can you snap a few pics of the install?? or tips
thanks

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 2013 F150 had HIDs and they looked alot like the expys lights.
i was unaware the expys are halogens behind the funny looking lense
may have to look around now
can you snap a few pics of the install?? or tips
thanks
I should have taken pictures while I had them out. It was cold here yesterday and I was trying to get them done before I lost the sun which was giving a little warmth. I recommend going with the xenonhids.com and getting their galaxy 55W ballast for whatever bulb that you need for your F150. The installation was fairly easy. I had to cut a 1" diameter hole in the rubber cap to accept the rubber grommet that comes with the harness. I found a great spot on the back of the headlight housing on the side of where the projector bump out sticks out next to the access to the high beam bulb. I had to cut a small opening in the case to pass some of the other connectors and wires through. I sealed that opening with several layers of high quality electrical tape that I layered like shingles so that any water that gets kicked up sheds off.

It took less time to do all of that than it took to type. If I have reason to remove the assemblies, I will take pictures.

Updated 3/16/17

These are pictures of my installation. I've decided to replace the low beam dust covers and route the wires out through the same opening as the red and black wires that are coming out in the area with the black tape.

IMG_5275.JPG
IMG_5276.JPG

Last edited: