08 exp spongy brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If any air has entered the ABS modulator, from what I understand you must take it to a Ford dealer (or independent shop with right software/hardware) in order to have the ABS system put into a mode to bleed the air out. Something about cycling solenoids and running the ABS pump which otherwise would not cycle, run, etc, while the vehicle is stationary.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How old are the rubber brake lines? I too have an 08 Expy and I just changed all of the rubber brake hoses. Mine was built Oct 2007 so they were over 10 years old. It could be the hoses are collapsing when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

I think you will need to bring your truck to the dealer. They can hook up their coimputer and cycle the ABS pump to get all of the air out. They can also get all of the air out of the brake lines and you will have rock hard brakes.

OP
OP
D

dyablo

Reaction score
How old are the rubber brake lines? I too have an 08 Expy and I just changed all of the rubber brake hoses. Mine was built Oct 2007 so they were over 10 years old. It could be the hoses are collapsing when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

I think you will need to bring your truck to the dealer. They can hook up their coimputer and cycle the ABS pump to get all of the air out. They can also get all of the air out of the brake lines and you will have rock hard brakes.

Original lines from 08, but I just noticed yesterday that while pressing the pedal it’s hissing. So I’m leaning towards the new reman being bad. Gonna swap it out today. Stay tuned.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would buy a new one instead of another remanufactured one. Not worth saving a few bucks on something that was rebuilt by some low wage worker from another country. Most rebuilt parts are from Mexico - not known for their quality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dyablo

Reaction score
Well guys just got done replacing the new reman booster from autozone with another of their reman units under warranty.

Stupid thing was such a headache and all because of a dead new part.

Take home lesson here, don’t buy reman parts for such an important part such as brakes.

Thanks for all the trouble shooting.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am glad it finally worked out for you.

About two years ago I was looking to replace the turbo on my 2005 Ford Excursion with 6.0 diesel. I went to AutoZone to inquire about a rebuilt unit. The store manager told me that rebuilt units only met 80% of their original performance spec and told me to buy a new one from the dealer. I wish I had know that before I bought one of their alternators. I had to replace them every 3-4 months because something would burn up inside.

I eventually bought a new turbo on Amazon for $400 less than what AutoZone was selling their rebuild one for ($799 VS $1,200). I dont mind buying new aftermarket parts from reputable companies like Dorman and Bosch but I wont buy rebuilt parts anymore. The money you save is not worth the hassle.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to never buy reman parts, they don’t do it right anymore. Some things you have to, but if it’s avoidable always go new

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto to the reman parts problem. When we were diagnosing your problem, you didn't mention the hissing sound from booster. So glad you got it figured out. Well lesson learned for next time, new parts especially on brakes, is the only way to go.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk