10,000 mile oil analysis

Should I go longer?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wali4vr

Reaction score
I've owned a GM car new since 2004 and have put 214k on it since then. GM's oil monitoring system uses a lot of data to suggest its oil change time. I drive about 60% hwy and 15% city and 25% mixed normally. I've had my warning kick on as high as 13.5 k and as low as 8.5 k with median about
10.5 k. I use 10w30 non synthetic as recommended. Engine idles fine with no ticks knocks whistles groans etc. and has as much zip as day 1. Its a 3.8L injected normally aspirated V6 with a 4 speed auto plus converter lock up fwd Monte Carlo SS. I've tracked oil usage and mpg since new and still getting 29.7 hwy and 26.3 city. Its living proof how much better oils have become AND how much better drivetrains are made. In my 07 EXP. the change warning comes on like clockwork at 4500 and I basically reset it then and go between 4 to 5k more using 5w20 Mobil one. I will continue this until the M/C floors fenders doors and quarter panels rust out completely and the EXP steel rocker panels and door surround panels rust away clear to the roof. IMO changing oil any sooner than the mfg's recommends is silly and a waste of $ and resourves. My 3 pesos.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can guaranty you nowhere in any service manual or owners manual does it recommend driving your Monte Carlo for 13.5K miles before doing an oil change, especially running conventional motor oil.

Wali4vr

Reaction score
No your half right. The oil monitoring system tells u when to change it. On the GM system the number of miles is only about 15% of the algorithm. Engine temp, weather temp, engine RPM vs trans RPM vs diff ratio., altitude, barometric pressure, intake and exhaust O² and more go in the calculations.
On another note the only real variance between petroleum oil and synthetic is at extreme temperatures. I believe its -20°F or colder and
+120°F or hotter and/or extreme conditions like heavy, for the vehicle, towing or diesel engines because they run dirty and therefore wear out the additives quicker.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Gambling on engine oil life, makes no sense to me. deweysmith, was lucky this time, but should be embarrassed posting this. He is giving the impression, its OK to neglect maintenance. You don't want to use oil until its depleted. His oil test was good, but his filter was probably clogged and on bypass. I like to see Blackstone do the test "blind"(no mileage etc). I also do not think, they should recommend going longer. He already was past the limit.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use this setup every 3,500 miles and will continue sticking to it. I don't use fully synthetic oil either so there is another reason to change more often. Oil is cheap and easy to do, might as well keep it fresh.06B69D58-4E06-4857-90C0-39F3CA41152F.jpeg

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No your half right. The oil monitoring system tells u when to change it. On the GM system the number of miles is only about 15% of the algorithm. Engine temp, weather temp, engine RPM vs trans RPM vs diff ratio., altitude, barometric pressure, intake and exhaust O² and more go in the calculations.
On another note the only real variance between petroleum oil and synthetic is at extreme temperatures. I believe its -20°F or colder and
+120°F or hotter and/or extreme conditions like heavy, for the vehicle, towing or diesel engines because they run dirty and therefore wear out the additives quicker.

I'm not half right I'm full right. I have no idea what your reply is referencing because in my reply to you I made no mention of the oil monitor system. The fact is you shouldn't go 13.5k miles on conventional oil. You shouldn't even go 8.5k miles on it.

And youre completely wrong if you think the only difference between synthetic and conventional oil is only when its being used in extreme temperatures.

But with that said I'm not getting into an oil argument with you here. There are to damn many of them already on this forum. If what you're doing works for you then keep doing it

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The oil life monitor is a guide, designed by a computer programmer. It counts engine revolutions, time and length of trips. It is a reminder for ladies and rental car companies. It is proof of neglect, for denying warranty claims. I have a vehicle that was driven less than 1000mi in 12 months. The oil life went to 0%. A co-worker drove his brand new Chevy to 12K, waiting for the monitor to indicate a change was due. In both cases, the computer was wrong.

Wali4vr

Reaction score
I'm not half right I'm full right. I have no idea what your reply is referencing because in my reply to you I made no mention of the oil monitor system. The fact is you shouldn't go 13.5k miles on conventional oil. You shouldn't even go 8.5k miles on it.

And youre completely wrong if you think the only difference between synthetic and conventional oil is only when its being used in extreme temperatures.

But with that said I'm not getting into an oil argument with you here. There are to damn many of them already on this forum. If what you're doing works for you then keep doing it
Sore loser? Who told us way back when to change oil every 3000 miles. No NOT the car manufacturers but the BIG OIL COMPANIES. Its like shampoo manufacturers directions. Lather rinse and repeat..motors, 's how they sell more shampoo. In the Company owned diesel semis I worked for it was no big deal to go 35,000 miles on changes and often more. We would put 2 million miles on those motors and VERY seldom had a problem unless some nu-be ran it low on oil. Oil technology has come a very long way since WWII. So have the oil filter mediums, the engineering of internal combustion motors, the specs for manufacturing parts etc. I read an owners manual decades back for a 1911 LaSalle. It said to change oil every 30 days or 800miles. Should we go back to that standard?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read an owners manual decades back for a 1911 LaSalle. It said to change oil every 30 days or 800miles. Should we go back to that standard?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Doesn’t sound like a bad idea to me :dogpile: