10,000 mile oil analysis

Should I go longer?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Sore loser? Who told us way back when to change oil every 3000 miles. No NOT the car manufacturers but the BIG OIL COMPANIES. Its like shampoo manufacturers directions. Lather rinse and repeat..motors, 's how they sell more shampoo. In the Company owned diesel semis I worked for it was no big deal to go 35,000 miles on changes and often more. We would put 2 million miles on those motors and VERY seldom had a problem unless some nu-be ran it low on oil. Oil technology has come a very long way since WWII. So have the oil filter mediums, the engineering of internal combustion motors, the specs for manufacturing parts etc. I read an owners manual decades back for a 1911 LaSalle. It said to change oil every 30 days or 800miles. Should we go back to that standard?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
A big rig diesel, revs around 2000rpm, burns oil as a fuel, and is built more robust than a mass produced car engine.

Last edited:

Wali4vr

Reaction score
Regarding GMs “intelligent oil monitor”.
This clown again... She ran it LOW on oil. They have to be kept full. Was it leaking, burning it, wrong viscosity, CHEAPPY FILTER etc.. The instructions in the manuals CLEARLY STATE the oil MUST be changed ounce a year IF the change warning doesn't appear before then. BUT the level is supposed to be checked Every gas fill up! Want to bet she checked it? Common sense seems to have left car owners. 85% of polled owners ADMIT they have never checked their oil level and 91% admit they have never read a car owners manual. I surrender.

OP
OP
deweysmith

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah yes, everyone's favorite, Scotty "computers are stupid and they don't make 'em like they used to and I hate everything except the sound of my own screaming voice" Kilmer.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, he’s right though. All the modern vehicle lovers eat up the garbage spewed out. They certainly don’t want them to last longer and engineer for failure. Can’t fix stupid.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
This clown again... She ran it LOW on oil. They have to be kept full. Was it leaking, burning it, wrong viscosity, CHEAPPY FILTER etc.. The instructions in the manuals CLEARLY STATE the oil MUST be changed ounce a year IF the change warning doesn't appear before then. BUT the level is supposed to be checked Every gas fill up! Want to bet she checked it? Common sense seems to have left car owners. 85% of polled owners ADMIT they have never checked their oil level and 91% admit they have never read a car owners manual. I surrender.

Many owners, who are not mechanically inclined, simply rely on these systems. How many women check there oil? Oil should be checked every other fill up(around 600mi). The GMC in the video, may have went a year on that oil.

OP
OP
deweysmith

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL, he’s right though.
Certainly, the one (!!) example cited is an anecdote that may or may not be true or embellished, we don't have objective facts outside of his own word, and hearsay of what happened from the lady.

He has another video about extended oil intervals and why we should never do that either. So we shouldn't trust the computer, we shouldn't trust the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval aside from the computer… YOU MUST TRUST THE ONE WHO SHOUTS AND CUTS OFF HIS OWN SHOUTS IN HIS WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER INTRODUCTION. YOU MUST TRUST IN THE GREAT SCOTTY KILMER.

REV UP YOUR ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!11!1111!!1!!

Wali4vr

Reaction score
The oil life monitor is a guide, designed by a computer programmer. It counts engine revolutions, time and length of trips. It is a reminder for ladies and rental car companies. It is proof of neglect, for denying warranty claims. I have a vehicle that was driven less than 1000mi in 12 months. The oil life went to 0%. A co-worker drove his brand new Chevy to 12K, waiting for the monitor to indicate a change was due. In both cases, the computer was wrong.
Your refering to Ford's system which is a10 year old outdated setup. GM's is a true oil condition driven system. GM is working with EPA to develop a monitoring system that will transmit mileage and time when oil needs changing or too low in volume. Then when its changed, window to be determined, it will transmit again time and mileage. If changed too soon to often owner gets a fine. If changed too late a mfg. warning. Major details still to be worked out. EPA wants to stop the public from wasting oil resources and the manufactures want to be able to control warranty issues. Target date was 2020 as of 5 years ago but I would have to contact my engineering source to know if that's changed. Big brother IS watching and you ain't seen nothing yet! How about an automatic system to prevent anyone with an alcohol level too high from driving(moving) the vehicle. Face recognition to be sure the drivers license is good and that all passengers are belted and have no outstanding warrants. All with current technology. Were you speeding; then the vehicle is going to contact nearest LEO. Your trailer too heavy for your vehicle to legally tow; contact LEO and prevent vehicle from moving. Fuel or coolant or oil or brake fluid leak car won't start or move. Federal DOT is trying to cut vehicle accidents and deaths at least in half by 2030 and most state DOT's are already on board. The list is growing fast on this kind of control but its coming a LOT QUICKER than most folks think. There's even talk at the UN about going Global with some of this as soon as some of the new GPS satellites systems are in place along with worldwide Internet systems without any wires or optic cables. Your kids are going to love it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys come on here complaining about some malfunction of a variable valve timing doohickey, or some start up cold knocking issue, and want us to diagnose it. Either you or the previous owner you bought it from, was bad on his/her service intervals, but you bought it anyway. Why would you stretch out an oil change way beyond normal time/mileage frames, then you send it to Blackstone labs, hoping I didn't do any damage. If your not willing to do the recommended services that Ford says this is a minimum, why not just buy a Tesla, and just plug it in. Guys this oil change Russian roulette with your engine is no Joke. If you've been on this forum, you've read what absolute bonehead mechanics are swapping out motors, and causing new, horrific issues. Bottom line, don't wait, change your oil/filter. If you don't have 15 minutes in your day, pay someone!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I met a used oil recycle driver. I asked him what they do with it. He said it is cooked down and filtered into "base stock". It is then used to make new oil.