18 Expy/Navi Est. Gas Mileage Figures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of these are guesses, but going though as many window stickers as i could find, these are the fuel economy figures for the 18 expy and navi.

Exp SWB 2WD: 17city 24 hwy
Nav SWB 2WD: 16city 23hwy
Exp LWB 2WD: 17city 23 hwy
Nav LWB 2WD: 16city 22hwy
Exp SWB 4WD: 16city 22 hwy
Nav SWB 4WD: 16city 22 hwy
Exp LWB 4WD: 16city 21hwy
Nav LWB 4WD: 16city 21hwy

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think what put the mileage in perspective for me was the amount consumed per 100 miles. One of the stickers state 5.6 gallons per 100 miles. My wife’s car has a 10 gallon capacity haha. It’s a glorified go cart but still I can imagine how far a 5 gallon jerry can can last vs vehicles. That being said I don’t thing the mileage is poor for a vehicle this size.

hunter991

Reaction score
I don't think this is all the bad, however, IMO it should be better. Its a V6 and they have the technology to make it better. My 2017 Tahoe gets 23.7 on the highway at 70 mph. If i go down to 65 i can get over 24 mpg with the 5.3l V8

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is all the bad, however, IMO it should be better. Its a V6 and they have the technology to make it better. My 2017 Tahoe gets 23.7 on the highway at 70 mph. If i go down to 65 i can get over 24 mpg with the 5.3l V8

Until Ford makes a V8 with variable displacement you won't get the mileage a GM LS engine gets. They have enough displacement to where they can literally shut half the motor off while it's cruising down the road under light load. If I was to order a new one I'd pretty much toss mileage to the wind, id option it with the biggest baddest gigantic V8 they offered. Ive never been a GM guy but the new Tahoe RST with the 6.2 is crazy, 0-60 sub 6 seconds and it still achieves in excess of 22 MPG highway. There's no beating a big motor than can act small IMO as far as fuel mileage goes.

Last edited:

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is for a 15 EL 4WD
It's pretty close to what I am getting in real life.

Combined MPG:16
combined city/highway MPG
City MPG:14 city
Highway MPG:20 highway

6.3 gals/100 miles

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The most impressive thing is that I'm going to replace my 2001 XJ Cherokee with an 8 passenger SUV with almost 400hp, more cargo room than I have in the jeep, and still get the same gas mileage. I'm just going to sit here and marvel at that for a few mintues...

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The most impressive thing is that I'm going to replace my 2001 XJ Cherokee with an 8 passenger SUV with almost 400hp, more cargo room than I have in the jeep, and still get the same gas mileage. I'm just going to sit here and marvel at that for a few mintues...
Outside of the gas mileage I’m kinda in the same boat, I’m replacing a 2005 4 seat Subaru Baja. I’m not sure if I’m fully aware of the amount of space and amenities I’m about to have. We ordered so I may not even see the vehicle until I go to pick mine up. The move up in interior space alone is gonna be great. With two kids under 2 we can barely fit in my car now and forget a trip to the local Sams Club, not enough room for groceries and occupants.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outside of the gas mileage I’m kinda in the same boat, I’m replacing a 2005 4 seat Subaru Baja. I’m not sure if I’m fully aware of the amount of space and amenities I’m about to have. We ordered so I may not even see the vehicle until I go to pick mine up. The move up in interior space alone is gonna be great. With two kids under 2 we can barely fit in my car now and forget a trip to the local Sams Club, not enough room for groceries and occupants.
You are going to love the size. I went from a Mercedes ML350 to the Expedition std length and the interior space was cavernous, the switch to the EL was almost as big a shock. Where before I had to keep the third row seats down to have enough room in the back for the stuff that I carry, Now I keep all of the seats up and still have plenty of room behind the rear seat. I keep an emergency backpack, blankets, towels jumper cables, scrapers, rope etc. There is a lot of room, but it doesn't feel like you are driving something that big because it handles so well. Obviously I have the 17 but I don't think you are going to find the 18 any different from that standpoint.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You also have to think the eb v6 are putting out more power than the 5.3l and the pedal is less restricted. The gms have that initial lag before the engines goes that the fords dont have. Also, its not like the eb v6 can't achieve those numbers. Many f150 owners and some here comment they can get numbers well over what the epa est. But dont due to the engine being ao intoxicating to wring out. Any large suv over 5000lbs able to get over 23 mpg on the road is impressive, hell my 09 navi will pull that if i set cc at 64mph. If ford detuned the eb v6 to what the 2.7leb does, im sure it could achieve close to diesel numbers

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01