1998 Eddie Bauer / Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Looking good! Looking like a lightning.

I know there are many ways to do this but I tapped into the fuel pump feeder to trigger relay powering the intercooler pump. That way with the engine off, key on it will not run continuously. Only runs when fuel pump is running.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I'm impatiently waiting for you to post your results!! lol

I understand she is running and screaming at that but will let you give the details...

Congrats!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm impatiently waiting for you to post your results!! lol

I understand she is running and screaming at that but will let you give the details...

Congrats!!

Well guys, 318hp/385 (sae correction like original 167hp)... Pretty good gains, but the exhaust is KILLING it, and we believe the extreme back pressure is the culprit of over boosting in high rpms. I ordered a catback today, and we're thinking of deleting the precats.

Overall as it sits though, it's pretty awesome! The sound does things for me only a woman should be able to do. The engine temps are actually slightly lower than before the swap, which surprised me.

I'll post pics & video tomorrow, and a detailed list of the setup. When we do the exhaust we'll be doing gauges as ell.

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a personal goal that I want to double the original HP... I think and hope the exhaust will do it!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
You are very close to double the hp already!!

Yeah... I did not think my stock cats were going to last very long because they would get extremely hot and carry on after I shut down. With my custom exhaust and high flow cats I lost 2+ pounds of boost and no longer feel like the cats are going to melt down.

I also noticed my motor runs cooler. Makes me kinda curious what stock lightning stat is set at ?!

You should upload video to youtube and post link.. :)

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are very close to double the hp already!!

Yeah... I did not think my stock cats were going to last very long because they would get extremely hot and carry on after I shut down. With my custom exhaust and high flow cats I lost 2+ pounds of boost and no longer feel like the cats are going to melt down.

I also noticed my motor runs cooler. Makes me kinda curious what stock lightning stat is set at ?!

You should upload video to youtube and post link.. :)

Here we go:

98 Expedition / Lightning Swap on dyno at www.dirtydirtyracing.com - YouTube

I absolutely love the sound... sounds like the expedition is going to take off into flight under WOT lol

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

My goal with the emblems was a factory ford look, as if this was a rare factory freak, I think it turned out pretty good. I may swap out the "expedition" logo for a later year model, I think some of those have the black/chrome reversed liked the supercharged emblem.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 901
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0809.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 484

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
High Def!! Cool..

Looks and sounds good! So how does she drive? Should feel like it has a bit more umph! :)

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Emblem came out well. Looks like they belong together or are one piece.

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
High Def!! Cool..

Looks and sounds good! So how does she drive? Should feel like it has a bit more umph! :)
High-def iPhone lol. It's definitely awesome to drive! If anyone is debating doing the swap--DO IT.

At idle/low rpms it drives and sounds like a stock expedition. I wouldn't hesitate to let a novice driver go get groceries in it. It's definitely different than a car with the same power obviously, it's a 5,000lb brick, but under WOT it moves along pretty good! As far as drivetrain, we went with the expedition tune vs the lightning. I'm considering down the road a different torque converter and altering the tune to make the shifting harder, I think it would make it drive very different.

The stock exhaust is choking it and causing it to build up more boost than it's pullied for (It's also caused a leak somewhere from the pressure). I ordered the catback last night, so that should put me at my double hp goal I'm hoping. I don't want to push it much beyond that at this point due to stock higher compression bottom end and stock drivetrain.

My biggest fear was the cooling because the IC system within the intake just looks like a flawed design to me. However, it's working great, and this is why I'm not a ford engineer. The IC coolant reservoir hasn't gotten hot to the touch yet and engine temps are slightly lower than stock. I did use a 180 thermostat vs the 195, the ic coolant tank is ~4 times bigger than stock, and the HE is mounted in front of the radiator.

Overall, it's pretty bad ass. I can't wait to get the exhaust in and see what it does on the dyno... hopefully correcting the overboost and getting the gains I want!