1998 Expedition Air Suspension Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like a relay. but I agree with the OP that if hes looking to keep the truck long term, springs are the way to go.

My replacement of the bag has held for 3years now. I also have another spare pair of bags and a reman compressor already in my garage once my stock one fails. I get a kick out of seeing the ass end level when I haul heavy items

OP
OP
G

gt350ed

Reaction score
Ed Just a curious question. In your original post you say

" Both the small "air suspension" fuse under the dash AND the HUGE fuse in the Power Distribution Box under the hood appear to be fine."

Just how did you test them??

Howdy! I didn't test them. I only visually checked them and determined they had not blown. Could they have failed without necessarily showing evidence? Maybe, but not likely. Everything worked until the compressor blew.

OP
OP
G

gt350ed

Reaction score
sounds like a relay. but I agree with the OP that if hes looking to keep the truck long term, springs are the way to go.

My replacement of the bag has held for 3years now. I also have another spare pair of bags and a reman compressor already in my garage once my stock one fails. I get a kick out of seeing the ass end level when I haul heavy items

I was SURE it was a relay. But I replaced it with one that had been tested and still nothing was working. As I mentioned, I made the decision to give up on the air suspension system. Not because I don 't like it. I loved it. But in considering the age of the truck, and the age of the components, it was an easy decision to make. I just could not justify pouring a significant amount of money into a 19 year old system. As I removed the rear air bags, I recalled that I replaced those nearly 10 years ago.

Earlier today, I finished the install of the conversion to springs and shocks. And, although this is a job in which putting it on a lift would have made things a LOT easier, it was pretty straight forward. If you follow the Strutmasters video, you can't go wrong. And, at least in my case, I don't feel guilty, since my rear bags came from Strutmasters. I'm happy with the result and my test drive.

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Switched my wore out system to new rear springs, new rear socks which are same with or without air ride, but the front shocks I ordered Pro-Comps for 6" lift. The reason for the 6" lift ones is the fullextended length of the front air shock has to be the same as any after market shock going in. Because the Expy I have is 4x4 and has the torsion bar front suspension, I did not need the coil overs for the front. Hope this info help out for all its worth.

OP
OP
G

gt350ed

Reaction score
Switched my wore out system to new rear springs, new rear socks which are same with or without air ride, but the front shocks I ordered Pro-Comps for 6" lift. The reason for the 6" lift ones is the fullextended length of the front air shock has to be the same as any after market shock going in. Because the Expy I have is 4x4 and has the torsion bar front suspension, I did not need the coil overs for the front. Hope this info help out for all its worth.

I guess I'm not following. In my case, I have Monroe FRONT coilovers as part of a kit SPECICALLY for the 1998 Expedition 4x4 conversion from air suspension. Had I ordered the 1998 Expedition 4x4 conversion kit from Strutmasters, their's also include coilovers as a replacement (conversion) from air suspension.

Different strokes for different folks?

Hit By Thunder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I'm not following. In my case, I have Monroe FRONT coilovers as part of a kit SPECICALLY for the 1998 Expedition 4x4 conversion from air suspension. Had I ordered the 1998 Expedition 4x4 conversion kit from Strutmasters, their's also include coilovers as a replacement (conversion) from air suspension.

I cant understand why they would use coilover shocks for the 4x4 suspension. 4x4 suspension uses the torsion bars. Same set up as my 2001 f150 7700. No coil over shocks. I saw the Munroe kit as well as the Stutmasters. The coilovers would raise the suspension but the torsion bars are adjustable to raise as well.

All in all. I think you will be very happy with converting over. Ride is way better for sure.:cheers:

oldschool59

Reaction score

We ordered the Monroe Conversion Kit for my sons 1999 2X4 Eddie Bauer Expedition. It took 6 hours to install it. There was no lift available. The rears went in with no problem but the fronts were another matter. Nevertheless all went accordingly and it now rides like a new one. The question we have is how do we disable the dummy light that now shows a Suspension Warning?
Thanks this forum has saved us over a grand easy. Total costs to replace the suspension was 197.00 including shipping from PartsGeek.Com

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... The question we have is how do we disable the dummy light that now shows a Suspension Warning?...

...duuno... Black paint?

I've seen this question asked many times. Can't remember a verified resolution for a 1st Gen Expedition.

Try reaching out to the manufacturer of the conversion kit you purchased. They likely have been asked the question as often as anybody. Good luck.

Tuner710

Reaction score
Sooter6 had a post showing exactly how to disable the light. Involves cutting wire or wires under the dash, worked for mine. Try a search on this forum. Good luck

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Howdy! I used the Search tool to no avail. I have a 1998 Expedition 4x4 automatic with air suspension. I've owned it since 2003. I absolutely love this car. It has about 145,000 miles. Several years ago, I replaced the rear bags. Have not had any issues since. However, for quite some time the air compressor has been much louder than typical. I figured it was going to need replacement, but it has always done the job, so I put up with it.

A few weeks ago, I was visiting my local tire shop. When I started the car to leave, the compressor started doing its job and within a few seconds, I heard all kinds of racket from the right front where the compressor is located and then nothing. It sounded like the compressor blew up, threw a rod in the little motor or whatever.

I drove home and it held air in the suspension UNTIL I disconnected the dryer from the compressor. Then the rear sagged. I removed the compressor and jumped the wires. It seems to have seized. No surprise. So, I ordered a used one off of eBay from a company that guarantees their products. When I installed it and plugged it in, nothing happened. Both the small "air suspension" fuse under the dash AND the HUGE fuse in the Power Distribution Box under the hood appear to be fine. So, then I jumped the eBay compressor and it seems to spin the electric motor fine. Not sure if anything else is supposed to happen by just jumping the hot and ground leads.

So then, I bought a replacement relay USED. Thats the bat-shaped piece mounted under the right headlight. It too is guaranteed to have been tested and working. I installed it today, NOTHING. The "Suspension" switch down by the passenger kick panel is turned on, but when I start the car, the compressor does not come on. Its as if juice is not getting to the compressor.

HELP!! Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ed

any luck?

Last edited: