1998 Expedition Air Suspension Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have a 1998 5.4L Eddie Bower. The compressor and air shocks need replaced. I am not a gear head. I need some help figuring out what to buy. I went to Rock Auto but, it is all too confusing figuring out what are the best replacement parts to use. I bought my Expy in Florida 4 years ago. I love it. Body is excellent. It runs great. Only 135K. If I can get my suspension replaced for a reasonable amount, I think she's got many years of service left. I also need advise on the front end. The ball joint are bad. Please help me keep my girl on the road. I really appreciate your assistance.
Thanks,
Frank
Pittsburgh, PA

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Frank, welcome to the forum! First off, you might in the future to post your own new post. Your piggybacking off a three year old post. Anyway the rears use air springs, any of the ones listed on rock auto will work. As far as shocks, everybody here has their favorite brand and model. Kyb has a close to oem ride, and works well. Ford originals are long gone from dealer, and motorcraft doesnt behave right, I know I've tried them, along with bilsteins, very choppy ride on my 2000 4x4. As far as lower ball joints we like Moog. Their press out, and in and are grease able. The uppers are best to replace the whole arm/balljoint assembly from Moog. I believe their better grade stuff is called problem solver. Dont know if your wrenching it yourself, of have a mechanic perform. Well that's my 2cents on your baby.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may also consider one of the conversion kits that will eliminate the air suspension. I fought my air suspension issues for years until I put in the Monroe conversion kit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357