1999 5.4 - not bad u-joint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's hard to describe a sound with words and I don't think this forum allows video attachments so here's a YT link.
rear u-joint

Going into gear, my 1999 5.4 has been making a grinding noise that I couldn't ignore any longer. After researching for a while through the usual sources, my conclusion was: failing rear u-joint. Red flag condition that needs to be dealt with now because it can damage the transmission. Can I fix it myself? No, beyond my capability. So I took it in and the shop said u-joints were fine, noise was coming from "brake release", common in older vehicles, nothing to worry about. No charge.

I'm not unaccustomed to it but, this time, being wrong saved me about $400. Still, it's a really annoying sound. Could someone please explain what causes this noise and is there anything worthwhile to try to reduce it?

Jexpy97

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help but I have a 97 that makes the same noise. Unfortunately it also jolts when shifting from park to drive or reverse. I'm hoping it's the u joint lol