2.5" rear lift - small issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Judge Mills

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the help of a friend, I was able to get the passenger side bottom strut bolt in. This evening, the strut is hanging about a 1/4" or less lower than needed to get the bolt in. Tried it both with the top bolts all the way loose, then snugged up, then about half way or so... tried a spring compressor as well, but that doesn't seem to help, as the shock doesn't compress. Any tricks? It seems like it bottoms out by the CV hitting the lower arm, but I can't tell for sure.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Judge Mills

Judge Mills

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't find an install video of a lift on a 2nd gen, but did find a video of a third gen where a guy used a pointed pry bar to align the holes. Worth a shot.
b212a36cc2345bf6dbae39030dc823d3.jpg

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I seem to remember using a big screw driver or a pry bar, sitting up on the control arm, and lifting the bottom of the shock up and into position.

IMG_6242.JPG

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just used a floor jack also on the rear to compress just enough to tap the bolt through.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Third gens are a bit different there I think. Pretty sure I used the big pry bar method and or the tapered punch in the hole when I did my 08. Then again, that wasn't a lift, just a straight up shock replacement...

Edit: I see this is in the second gen forum. For some reason I thought OP had a 3rd gen. My mistake.

OP
OP
Judge Mills

Judge Mills

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Third gens are a bit different there I think. Pretty sure I used the big pry bar method and or the tapered punch in the hole when I did my 08. Then again, that wasn't a lift, just a straight up shock replacement...

Edit: I see this is in the second gen forum. For some reason I thought OP had a 3rd gen. My mistake.
No worries. The photo of the prybar is from YouTube, where a guy is working on a 3rd gen.

OP
OP
Judge Mills

Judge Mills

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just used a floor jack also on the rear to compress just enough to tap the bolt through.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I was trying that, but the strut was causing the jack to move around. A lot of moving parts.