2 cylinder miss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear1butt

Reaction score
Have a 99 expedition that lost the #1and 4 cylinders at same time. Compression shows low on 3 cylinders on that bank. No over heat oil in water or vice versa. B a blown head gasket? Thanks got any input to a newbie to this form.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What was the compression numbers on the 3 cylinders, i take it you also have the numbers on the rest of the cylinders, what are they?

Does sound like a blown head gasket without overheating, because we know overheating will most likely crack the heads.

Mr67Stang

Reaction score
Have a 99 expedition that lost the #1and 4 cylinders at same time. Compression shows low on 3 cylinders on that bank. No over heat oil in water or vice versa. B a blown head gasket? Thanks got any input to a newbie to this form.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You say the cylinders are "low"... Give us the numbers for all cylinders so we can see what you are seeing. + or - 10 lbs is acceptable. Are these three cylinders 40 lbs light? I will also say, it is difficult to get a good traditional compression test done on these engines with the spark plug holes being so far down in these dirt collection cavities that some engineer should be fired for. Also, how many miles does the engine have on it. 100k? 300k? what exactly makes you think you dropped cylinders 1 and 4? P0301 and P0304 codes? If so, step one is swap your coils from #1 to #2 and #4 to #3 and see if your code moves to those cylinders.

Good as Gold

Reaction score
Take the cap of the coolant expansion tank. With a cold motor have someone start the truck and you put you hand over the expansion tank if you fell pressure coming from the tank you probably have a head warping.