2000 4x4 vibration under heavy accel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, first off, 2000 EB expediton, 4x4, 5.4l. When in A4wd it has a grinding/vibration noise definatly from the front side only during heavy acceleration. when I put it in 4hi, the sound is cut in half..maybe more, in 4 lo, its non existant....The vibration is felt only in the floor, and can be heard, pedels and steering wheel are smooth. Anybody had this happen and resolved? I searched and found one person with the same issue, but the advise was to disconnect the brown wire...

Last edited:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No expert advise here, but it sounds as if your transfer case may need some repair. I know there is a fuse that can be pulled that essentially does the same thing as the brown wire mod, so you may want to try that and see if it really does help.

frankiep

Reaction score
ok, first off, 2000 EB expediton, 4x4, 5.4l. When in A4wd it has a grinding/vibration noise definatly from the front side only during heavy acceleration. when I put it in 4hi, the sound is cut in half..maybe more, in 4 lo, its non existant....The vibration is felt only in the floor, and can be heard, pedels and steering wheel are smooth. Anybody had this happen and resolved? I searched and found one person with the same issue, but the advise was to disconnect the brown wire...

mine does the same thing, dont know what it is , but pull fuse 104 under the hood and its fine no more noise.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i wouldnt recommend just "pulling fuses to get rid of the noise". thats not normal, therefore something is wrong. i would take it in to the shop and find out before repairs get too costly. gotta take care of your vehicle if you want it to take care of you.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it sounds like the bearngs in the electronic clutch for the auto 4WD by pulling the fuse you can buy some time by disableing the clutch my advice is to have it fixed and not use the auto setting ford and gm alike

Nutzy19

Reaction score
your not alone. I have the same exact problem. I pulled the 104 and it went away but Im blaming mine on mismatched tires F&R (same size / Diff brand)

takem01

Reaction score
I just started getting the rumbling noise.

It happened when I changed wheel/tire profile on my 2000 Expy. I'm getting the idea that it's related to the vehicle management computer managing the AWB, based on wrong tire profile/circumference. I'm going to get my comp reflashed (or, maybe buy/borrow a programmer) with the new profile and I'm hoping it'll go away. I'll keep you posted.

takem01

Reaction score
I found my problem.

Was getting a rumbling from the TC under heavy acceleration. Went to Ford and the shop manager (a real nice guy) diagnosed the problem right away. At no cost. Seems that the new tires I put on the front had a different profile than those on the rear (about 20000 miles on them by my estimate), even though they were the same profile (255/75R17).
Guy says 'you're not going to fix the rumbling/thumping by reflashing for tire size, and explains that a difference of as little as 1/8" in profile results in enough mismatch in RPMs to mess up the control equations for the A4WD. He says you have to replace all 4 tires at the same time, etc., of you're going to get this kind of a problem. I went back to the 16's (all 4 new). problem solved. Once I get enough $$ to buy 4 17's, I'll go back.