2000 5.4 engine - Trailer towing capacity discrepancies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being Ford ETIS stated you have the heavy duty tow package then you should have the Frame Mounted weight distributing hitch which is rated higher that the step bumper. And you should also have the 7 pin connector which should be mounted to the frame mounted hitch

Stop scratching your head about the step bumper and what it is rated for Most likely you will never use it as the frame mounted hitch will handle all your towing need Only thing is you will need the correct mounts, hitch balls and any other equipment to properly tow a trailer

JRFog

Reaction score
The problem is the bumper. The bumper can not handle the towing capacity of the truck. My Class III/IV hitch is stamped 10,000 lb. capacity but that is over the rated capacity for the truck. What is stamped on the bumper or hitch has nothing to do with the tow rating of the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest that you go to etrailer.com There are plenty of articles and videos about towing equipment that may give you a better understanding of what you need.
Also check on you tube for information.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
The problem is the bumper. The bumper can not handle the towing capacity of the truck. My Class III/IV hitch is stamped 10,000 lb. capacity but that is over the rated capacity for the truck. What is stamped on the bumper or hitch has nothing to do with the tow rating of the vehicle.

Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
Being Ford ETIS stated you have the heavy duty tow package then you should have the Frame Mounted weight distributing hitch which is rated higher that the step bumper. And you should also have the 7 pin connector which should be mounted to the frame mounted hitch

Stop scratching your head about the step bumper and what it is rated for Most likely you will never use it as the frame mounted hitch will handle all your towing need Only thing is you will need the correct mounts, hitch balls and any other equipment to properly tow a trailer

Got it. Thanks very much for your feedback!