2000 5.7L want to haul 4k lb trailer all summer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a_p0ptart

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2000 XLT 5.7L, and want to beef it up to handle hauling a small travel trailer all summer. The plan was to buy a new truck, but I love this old girl, and it was my dad's truck and then my truck and I'd like to use her still if possible. I would rather spend a few thousand and some labor to make her survive the summer. The trailer is a 2018 Jayco JayFlight SLX 154BH, tongue WT about 315, dry WT about 3500, loaded WT will be around 4k.

Everything is stock on the truck except the old air-ride shocks were replaced with traditional springs.

Any suggestions?

Plati

Reaction score
I have a 2003 XLT. I have had numerous brake issues over the years and I personally would make sure my brakes are in TIP TOP condition. Here in NY we have massive corrosion issues so the brake lines blow out at that age, the rubber hose degrades and causes issues, ebrake don't work too well and there are cable problems also, calipers have gone bad if the boot has a hole in it, pads ... rotors ... probably other things. Not trying to scare you just a suggestion. Sometimes people ignore their brakes until they can't stop!