2000 converted from air shocks to standard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wpatters1229

Reaction score
I converted from 4 corner air shocks to the standard coils and shocks in the rear and springs over shocks in the front using a Monroe conversion kit. It rides fine except the front seems bouncy.
Can I replace the front spring over shocks in front with the Bilsteing heavy duty shocks that do not have springs over them?
Bilstein B6 4600 Heavy Duty Shock Absorber Ford Expedition Front 24-185219

I just don't know if I still need the springs over the shocks

OP
OP
W

wpatters1229

Reaction score
Maybe there is a spring over shock upgrade that is a stiffer ride than the ones that come in the conversion kit. Does anyone know what that might be with the Monroe brand?

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can not use regular shocks unless you change the torsion bar, which air ride has a weaker bar to allow for the low and high height of the airbags. You will think your in a boat riding in rough seas.

I don't buy those conversion kits, so I can not answer about stiffer coil over springs,
I personally prefer to replace all the air suspension with non air suspension parts.

Replace torsion bars with non air ride torsion bars, there bigger in diameter.
Replace rear coil springs with non air ride coil springs.
Use normal shocks non air ride.

Basically I will swap all the air ride with non air ride suspension, no issues with ride comfort.

Where I am at, the pick and pull yard, I can pick up torsion bars for $25 each, coil springs for $10 each, pick up brand new shocks.

OP
OP
W

wpatters1229

Reaction score
Did not know that about the torsion bar. Will have to look up local wrecking yard...that might explain the boat ride feeling. I know my daughter has a 2004 and it has coil springs in front with shocks and not coil over shocks. Probable because there is no mount for the springs when you take out the air shock.

OP
OP
W

wpatters1229

Reaction score
Anyone every reduced the height of a 2000 Expedition using simple coil spring pull downs? I changed out the air system with a conversion kit and it rides a bit too high. Would just like to pull it down about 3". I know they make full kits for that but I just replaced the whole setup and the fronts only have coil over shocks but the back has a full coil spring.