2000 EB to 2017 eco boost - hesitant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger024x4

Reaction score
Thats what known as "infant mortality" in reliability engineering. There will always be some part of a population that fails very early in its life. Its part of the 'bathtub curve' which exhibits a high failure rate at "birth", then the failure rate drops to nearly zero for some period of time, then the rate jumps back up at the end of life. Its this curve that companies use to establish their warranty periods, and explains why the part fails just after the warranty expires. Its not magic...its math.
lol, was just sharing my experience with the 5.0.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I do not have a high mileage ecoboost vehicle. And like you I have a 1986 BMW with 240K miles, and a 1999 Expy with the same mileage. I gave the Expy to my son also. I also "hold" cars, the reliable ones. We are like twins.
So I will point out that pretty much everybody builds cars that will achieve high mileage now. Hell, even the Koreans build quality, reliable cars. Japanese cars are in my opinion built better than european cars, but they all are capable of lasting a long time. Even GM builds some quality products now! Shocking!!!
My point is that you probably dont have to worry about an ecoboost catastrophe, because modern cars are generally very reliable, especially in the hands of guys like you and me who are capable of proper maintenance.

Thank you. Im looking into two things now. What is a catch can? and the Suburbans 5.3L V8

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this was my experience with a 5.0 @ 30k miles

View attachment 21620

Plenty of guys have cracked blocks and blown ecoboosts apart before they even hit 30k...look Loki I don't want to get into it with you you seem like a knowledgeable guy and we have differing opinions and that's ok, I do get hot headed on here sometimes but I don't want to offend anybody. But what I stated is correct, diesels have low horsepower ratios compared to gasoline combusting engines and require a turbo for that horsepower, gasoline combusting engines rev higher and produce more ponys naturally because of the combusting properties of gasoline in comparison to diesel. If you turbo my 5.4 i gaurentee it won't last as long as it would without it. Guarantee. Gasolines combusting engines aren't the same as a low rev diesel. Red line on the 6.7 powerstroke is 3,500 rpm I believe very low stress, low rev engine. They did a supercharged 5.4 at one point that Made 565 horsepower or something around there but That thing ain't lasting like it's naturally aspirated brother. (I know blown engines and turbo are different just using the 5.4 souped up as an example).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Where did your kill story go? The 07 vs 16 0-60 is 2.5 seconds difference, and the 15+ is a little heavier because of added safety features. Off the line a 15+ will easily walk you.

You mentioned TFL Truck. Not sure what video you watched...click on the following link, scroll to 10:45 in the video. Right at the end they floored it, and it did not immediately gain speed. But it maintained a much lower RPM, had a better time overall, and they raved about it cruising up with little effort. That was against the 6.2 in a Denali with 40 more HP.

I have been watching Roman and his crew for years...so good try.

Why if there is Soooo much demand for the 5.0 do the Eco’s, both 2.7 and 3.5 people rave about once they drive one. I love the fact that people who are speaking negatively about the EB, don’t own one. Those of us that drive them, speak VERY highly of them.

I drove all the Large SUV’s out there when we were picking out our 15, we have Limited EL 4x4. Drove a Suburban, and it felt like it couldn’t get out of its own way. Loved the interior. In order to get the 6.2 at the time I had to go to a GMC Denali, and 15K more. Loved our 15 so much, when a lady cut my wife off at 45MPH and it was totaled, we bought a 17 that was EXACTLY the same. Wife didn’t even hesitate. She wanted the same!

For the OP, buy a EB 15+, you won’t regret it!

It would be interesting to see the numbers of F150 eco boost vs 5.0 sales and customer satisfaction. I also tend to believe SUV owners differ from pickup truck buyers, I believe they are for different applications and for a bit different demographic.

Unfortunately, the 2018 eco boost in Expedition and F150 is even smaller displacement, now 2.7L ! !! Ford is telling a segment of the buying market to go *uc* themselves...rather than offer the 5.0 normal aspirated in the Expy they go in the opposite direction.

The other thing I hate is the automatic shut off feature...so every time you come to a stop light the dang things turns off and turns on again right before you take off...WTF?!? Reminds me of the 8-6-4 cadillac engine from the 1980's which was a POS.

I dunno guys, I'm not happy w what Ford is offering me right now in large SUV segment...I am visiting my Chevy dealer to look at a Premium Suburban that has a 5.3 v8 and can tow 8000lbs w trailer tow package and 4WD.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the numbers of F150 EB vs 5.0 sales and customer satisfaction. I also tend to believe SUV owners differ from pickup truck buyers, I believe they are for different applications and for a bit different demographic.

Unfortunately, the 2018 eco boost is even smaller displacement, now 2.7L ! !! Ford is telling a segment of the buying market to go *uc* themselves...rather than offer the 5.0 normal aspirated they go in the opposite direction.

The other thing I hate is the automatic shut off feature...so every time you come to a stop light the dang things turns off and turns on again right before you take off...WTF?!? Reminds me of the 8-6-4 cadillac engine from the 1980's which was a POS.

I dunno guys, I'm not happy w what Ford is offering me right now in large SUV segment...I am visiting my Chevy dealer to look at a Premium Suburban that has a 5.3 v8 and can tow 8000lbs w trailer tow package and 4WD.

Its not Ford. Its CAFE. The feds are dictating power plants in the vehicles via average MPG standards. Bigger vehicles, which WE want, harsh the AGW/Climate change nazis' mellow and results in smaller power plants in cars.

Its for the children, you know.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But a huge displacement V8 can be more eco friendly than an old 4 banger with today's technology. Look at the GM 6.2 it's better on gas than the half its displacement ecoboost. Btw the 2.7 is a different engine that's not in the expy it's still the 3.5L. The ecoboost has its share of problems with rattle at idle. it's got the same timing chain problems. The ecoboost is known to have phaser wheel problems as well just like the modulqr V8s. Any production engine has hiccups.

Last edited:

ranger024x4

Reaction score
The ecoboost has its share of problems with rattle at idle. it's got the same timing chain problems. .
they supposedly fixed that mid 12. They also fixed the phasor issues in 06 on the 5.4's but Ive still seen newer 5.4's clack away at idle. lol.

Everyone is going to have their opinion on things. Hell, I was very anti ecoboost when I bought my f150 and my opinion didn't even change when it spend 20% of the time I owned it at the dealership.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow just read the new 6.7 powerstroke puts out 925 lb ft of torque that's crazy s***! That has to break apart the road and kick it out the back when you hit that pedal down jeez man. Best thing you can do for start stop is go in the computer and disable it... it's not magic they have TONS of problems with it on all the engines they use it on, turn it off if you get one. It creates huge wear on the engine and strains it shortening its life, starting the engine and getting the oil flowing is where your engine sees most wear so naturally start stop is a disease to any engine. That's just improving economy and tossing longevity to the fire. Start stop is detrimental to timing chains, starters, oil pumps, battery, everything. Granted they have beefed up these component and use self lubricating parts but it still is excess wear no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the numbers of F150 eco boost vs 5.0 sales and customer satisfaction. I also tend to believe SUV owners differ from pickup truck buyers, I believe they are for different applications and for a bit different demographic.

Unfortunately, the 2018 eco boost in Expedition and F150 is even smaller displacement, now 2.7L ! !! Ford is telling a segment of the buying market to go *uc* themselves...rather than offer the 5.0 normal aspirated in the Expy they go in the opposite direction.

Yeah, Others have said, the 2.7 is not in the 2018 Expy. It is the 2nd Gen 3.5 TT EB, with both port and direct injection. It is the same motor in the current 150, and has a 10 Speed trans behind it. The Expy has a 9200lb Towing capacity with the Heavy Tow package. I drove the 5.3L Suburban, it is a dog! Interior is great, but it needs more engine. Drive it, then go drive a 2017 Expy. The power and general drivability with the flat and low torque curve of the EB is very noticeable. The Gen 2 in the 2018 with more HP and Torque, and 10 gears will be even better.

My problem with this thread is the people who are MOST vocally anti EB don’t and have NEVER owned one. Every one of us who does has said nothing but POSITIVE things about how it drives. Hell, I bought 2 more after I owned my 15 and put 20,000+ miles on it. Totaled it, and got another one after it. That should speak volumes. Others on here have done similar. Andy bought his wife an EB Escape. Others have done similar.

Once you drive an EB, you will like it. LokiWolf - Out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni