2000 EB to 2017 eco boost - hesitant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My problem with this thread is the people who are MOST vocally anti EB don’t and have NEVER owned one. Every one of us who does has said nothing but POSITIVE things about how it drives. Hell, I bought 2 more after I owned my 15 and put 20,000+ miles on it. Totaled it, and got another one after it. That should speak volumes. Others one here have done similar. Andy bought his wife an EB Escape. Others have done similar.

But, now there's a new ginormous motor coming out and we're all gonna be real sorry we don't own it instead of our EBs. Mark my words.......

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford is supposed to be adding a new gasoline V8 in the near future I should say "supposedly" but they are being very secretive about it. They are saying it's going to be humongous possibly to replace the 6.2 Boss and The old still In production 6.8 Triton in a single shot. I'm betting 6.2 redesign or a change to like 6.4 liters I can't imagine they'd go much bigger. I'm thinking maybe a DOHC 4 valve with more grunt than their current ones... I mean the 5.0 coyote is almost to 6.2 Boss specs now so imagine what they could harness out of a newer 6.0-7.0 liter engine. They make a 5.2 that puts out 526 horses naturally aspirated in the GT-350, imagine what a 6.2 redesign could yield. 475-500 horsepower and 500 lb ft of torque? Direct injection and Ti-VCT has changed their game. I have heard they want to close a gap a bit between the 6.2 Boss and 6.7 Powerstroke since the PS has sooo much torque. Ford is doing something with a big newer V8 and it's looming not far off you watch. I see your sarcasm in that post but Ford is never putting that 3.5 in their super duty sorry there is no market for it.

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the numbers of F150 eco boost vs 5.0 sales and customer satisfaction. I also tend to believe SUV owners differ from pickup truck buyers, I believe they are for different applications and for a bit different demographic.

Unfortunately, the 2018 eco boost in Expedition and F150 is even smaller displacement, now 2.7L ! !! Ford is telling a segment of the buying market to go *uc* themselves...rather than offer the 5.0 normal aspirated in the Expy they go in the opposite direction.

The other thing I hate is the automatic shut off feature...so every time you come to a stop light the dang things turns off and turns on again right before you take off...WTF?!? Reminds me of the 8-6-4 cadillac engine from the 1980's which was a POS.

I dunno guys, I'm not happy w what Ford is offering me right now in large SUV segment...I am visiting my Chevy dealer to look at a Premium Suburban that has a 5.3 v8 and can tow 8000lbs w trailer tow package and 4WD.

It's now obvious you're trolling. The new Eco is a 3.5 with even more hp and torque. That is a step forward not backward. The auto shutoff can be turned off.

Good luck with that 5.3. Live life with no regrets right lol

Yeah, Others have said, the 2.7 is not in the 2018 Expy. It is the 2nd Gen 3.5 TT EB, with both port and direct injection. It is the same motor in the current 150, and has a 10 Speed trans behind it. The Expy has a 9200lb Towing capacity with the Heavy Tow package. I drove the 5.3L Suburban, it is a dog! Interior is great, but it needs more engine. Drive it, then go drive a 2017 Expy. The power and general drivability with the flat and low torque curve of the EB is very noticeable. The Gen 2 in the 2018 with more HP and Torque, and 10 gears will be even better.

My problem with this thread is the people who are MOST vocally anti EB don’t and have NEVER owned one. Every one of us who does has said nothing but POSITIVE things about how it drives. Hell, I bought 2 more after I owned my 15 and put 20,000+ miles on it. Totaled it, and got another one after it. That should speak volumes. Others one here have done similar. Andy bought his wife an EB Escape. Others have done similar.

Once you drive an EB, you will like it. LokiWolf - Out.

This guy has been dogging the Expedition since his first post. He never intended on buying or even looking at one. Just came on here to talk trash and get the fellow non Eco owners to make him feel good. Obvious troll

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the numbers of F150 eco boost vs 5.0 sales and customer satisfaction. I also tend to believe SUV owners differ from pickup truck buyers, I believe they are for different applications and for a bit different demographic.

Unfortunately, the 2018 eco boost in Expedition and F150 is even smaller displacement, now 2.7L ! !! Ford is telling a segment of the buying market to go *uc* themselves...rather than offer the 5.0 normal aspirated in the Expy they go in the opposite direction.

The other thing I hate is the automatic shut off feature...so every time you come to a stop light the dang things turns off and turns on again right before you take off...WTF?!? Reminds me of the 8-6-4 cadillac engine from the 1980's which was a POS.

I dunno guys, I'm not happy w what Ford is offering me right now in large SUV segment...I am visiting my Chevy dealer to look at a Premium Suburban that has a 5.3 v8 and can tow 8000lbs w trailer tow package and 4WD.

Here's an article from January 2017:
http://driving.ca/ford/f-150/auto-news/news/v8-or-turbo-v6-which-ford-f-150-engine-to-choose

V8 or turbo V6? Which Ford F-150 engine to choose
Choosing the right pickup is hard enough – figuring out which engine to pick when ordering a brand-new truck can be even more of a challenge. Toyota makes it easy, offering two V8s but selling mostly one, and Nissan presents just one V8 in its half-ton. For buyers of the pickup sales leader in North America, however, the engine options in Ford’s F-150 portfolio make picking the right power source a hard choice, especially when the four engines available are each and of themselves compelling. Click the link above for the full article

Here's an article from 2011:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/06/ford-f-150-v-6-engines-outselling-v-8s.html

Ford F-150 V-6 Engines Outselling V-8s
For Ford, six is greater than eight. In May, the company sold more F-150 full-size pickups with V-6 engines than traditional V-8 power plants.

The new 3.5-liter EcoBoost twin-turbo gasoline direct-injection V-6 engine made up 41 percent of F-150 retail sales in May, up 4 percentage points from April. Sales of the new 3.7-liter naturally aspirated six-cylinder were 14 percent of retail, for a total F-150 six-cylinder engine share of 55 percent, beating sales of F-150s equipped with the new 5.0-liter V-8 and 6.2-liter V-8 mills.

What's stunning about this news is the extremely high take rate for Ford's new six-cylinder engines. Toyota's and GM's V-6 sales are in the single-digit percentages.

What’s likely driving the small-displacement adoption in Ford's big trucks? Gas prices are more than a dollar higher than last year’s prices, at $3.77 a gallon for regular octane fuel, according to AAA’s Daily Fuel Gauge Report.

A two-wheel-drive EcoBoost F-150 carries EPA ratings of 16/22 mpg city/highway but can also tow up to 11,300 pounds when properly equipped — the same as the Ford F-150’s large-displacement 6.2-liter V-8 that's rated at 13/18 mpg. That makes the EcoBoost attractive to new-truck buyers looking for the right combination of power and frugality.

EcoBoost is also priced aggressively. It’s $1,750 more than the F-150’s entry-level 302-horsepower, 3.7-liter V-6, $750 more than the midrange 360-hp, 5.0-liter V-8 and $1,245 less than the premium 411-hp, 6.2-liter V-8.

Here's an article from 2016:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/06/ford-f-150-ecoboost-engines-hit-1-million-sales.html

Ford F-150 EcoBoost Engines Hit 1 Million Sales
Ford’s No. 1 selling vehicle, the F-150, hit a milestone last week by selling the millionth half-ton pickup truck equipped with a direct-injection, twin-turbo EcoBoost engine under the hood. Since it was first made available in the 2011 model year, the EcoBoost engine has proven popular due to its ability to generate significant power — meaning horsepower and torque — in a V-6 package. In terms of fuel economy, the EcoBoost engine is competitive with other V-6 engines.

Ford offers two EcoBoost engines for the F-150: a 2.7-liter V-6 combined with a six-speed transmission with standard auto stop-start and the larger 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 (soon to have more horsepower and torque) that will be combined with a new 10-speed transmission later this year. It also will include standard stop-start technology.

When powering a two-wheel-drive F-150, the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 has an EPA fuel economy rating of 18/24/21 mpg city/highway/combined. The current-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost with two-wheel drive has an EPA rating of 16/22/18 mpg. Both EcoBoost engines were rated with the six-speed automatic transmission.

Here is a good article from 2016:

https://www.torquenews.com/106/2016-ford-f150-work-50l-v8-vs-35l-ecoboost-v6

2016 Ford F150 Work-Off: 5.0L V8 -VS- 3.5L EcoBoost V6
From the last page...

Which Engine is for You?
So, if you are shopping for a 2016 Ford F150 and you are weighing the pros and cons of the 5.0L V8 against the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 – here is a quick rundown of the advantages of each.

The 5.0L V8 has more horsepower and it is naturally aspirated, so you get a touch more initial power when moving out from a stop. The 5.0L V8 costs anywhere from $500 to $1,000 less than the 3.5L EcoBoost depending on the trimline chosen and while it has far less torque, the 5.0L V8 has a significant advantage in maximum payload capacity. If the feel of a V8 with sharper throttle response, greater payload capacities and a lower price of purchase are your key concerns, a 2016 F150 with the 5.0L V8 is going to be the best engine for you.

On the other hand, if don’t mind paying a little more for an engine in your new truck that offers slightly better fuel economy than the V8 and gobs more torque – thus improved performance when pulling a trailer and the ability to far more weight – the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 is the best 2016 F150 to meet your needs.

The EcoBoost doesn’t offer quite the same instant-on feel when leaving the line from a stop, but in every other way – particularly when towing - the twin turbo V6 outperformed the 5.0L V8 in my tests. Unless you plan to regularly haul more than 2,000lbs or you are specifically looking to save money at the point of purchase – my advice is to give the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 a chance. Even if you prefer the instant-on feel of the V8 and you have been driving a V8 truck for years, I would bet that most truck drivers who like some extra snap in the step of their half ton pickup will quickly learn to love the acceleration characteristics of the 3.5L EcoBoost V6.

The 5.0L V8 is a great engine, but don’t let the critics who fear new technology turn you off of the 3.5L EcoBoost V6. This twin turbo mill is one of the best engines in that segment and it makes the 2016 F150 one of the most powerful and one of the most capable trucks in the half ton segment – without any real compromise.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great posts!

but

"Plenty of guys have cracked blocks and blown ecoboosts apart before they even hit 30k.."

Would this be the most outrageous thing you've ever said JEx, even for you?

It makes you sound like on of today's' pretend "reporters"...saying the most outrageous thing because they are competing for attention.....and you are better than that.

When I did my research before buying my '17 Expy, I found ZERO issues. I would suggest that anyone do a search for "2017 Ford Expedition problems" and see what comes up.....NOTHING WILL outside of the lunatic story of the guy that got countersued by Ford for lying about a fire BS. I bought my new truck last Nov and have 22.5K on it now with ZERO trips back to the dealer for ANYTHING. Hmmmm, seems pretty bulletproof to me!

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying everyone's cracks ecoboost blocks but it's happened.... if you people are going to pick an instance or two of the coyote failing I can do the same for ecoboost. 20,000 anything miles is no test for reliability. We've got an E-350 at work with the 5.4 Triton with 215,000 miles that never has problems, that's a true test. Your right those failures are rare but your engine is absolutely not bulletproof. They still have timing chain problems today they improved it but any engine with such high stress on the oil can develop these, they have carbon build up problems, they have ignition problems, they have phaser wheel problems, heck you can find people where carbon built up on the valves and they got stuck and the piston hit the valve and their motor was done. The new port injection will fix that though. This is the ignorance I'm calling out. You can find examples of any engine failing. The eco is not bulletproof.

Last edited:

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great posts!

but

"Plenty of guys have cracked blocks and blown ecoboosts apart before they even hit 30k.."

Would this be the most outrageous thing you've ever said JEx, even for you?

It makes you sound like on of today's' pretend "reporters"...saying the most outrageous thing because they are competing for attention.....and you are better than that.

When I did my research before buying my '17 Expy, I found ZERO issues. I would suggest that anyone do a search for "2017 Ford Expedition problems" and see what comes up.....NOTHING WILL outside of the lunatic story of the guy that got countersued by Ford for lying about a fire BS. I bought my new truck last Nov and have 22.5K on it now with ZERO trips back to the dealer for ANYTHING. Hmmmm, seems pretty bulletproof to me!

jeff

If you do the same for Suburban by the way, one will find a TON of issues. Big issues, that will keep you chained to the dealer.

ranger024x4

Reaction score
The eco is not bulletproof.
no one is claiming it is.

everything will have its issues at some point in its life. And in reality, I believe speculating if an engine if an engine will last 200k is only asking ourselves half the question. Are we talking about 200k in 3-4 years or 200k after 30 years.

I've had my share of turbo vehicles over the years. 2 mr2 turbos, 08 duramax, 95 powerstroke, srt4, regal gs, cruze, juke nismo, and the last one before the expy was a 89 300zx twin turbo. it was 27 years old when I ended up replacing the timing belt and all of the hoses and lines throughout the car, including going to the turbos. Still on OEM turbos to this day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01